**Home made egg candler. Post your pics**

bow.gif
that's a great idea to put electrical tape on the hole. I was worries abot scratching my eggs on that rough metal edge. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just have a small 9 led light with some foam taped around the end to cushion the egg from the metal and glass of the flashlight. It's bright enough to see into Welsummer eggs.
Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

I just replace the foam after each batch eggs i candle, i have a 50' roll of it lol

We use our old slide projector. I taped a piece of cardboard with a small hole in it over the lens, maybe 1/8 inch diameter hole.

It works really well. We have done Blue shelled eggs and Brown, but nothing as dark as Maran, yet...

Last edited:
Just on the subject of candling, and admiring the ingenuity of all ....

I personally prefer a candler where the egg can stay still, and the lamp moves around it.

Doing it this way minimises any risk to the egg.

On that basis, the high power flashlights, Surefire and some Maglights, work extremely well.

I use an LED 3W Maglight .... it's brilliant even on midbrown eggs, but I'd love a 5W Surefire

Took an old coffee can:
34566_candling-6.jpg

Drilled two holes in bottom and added a cord and switch:
34566_candling-7.jpg

Added a light bulb receptacle to the inside of the can:
34566_candling-5.jpg

Screwed metal brackets to bottom for legs. Attached to plywood for stability. CAN GETS TOO HOT TO TOUCH!
34566_candling-8.jpg

Drilled a 1 1/2" diameter hole in the lid. Covered rough edge with a rubber gasket:
34566_candling-9.jpg

Put the lid back on. Turn on light. You need to be in a dark room of course.
34566_candling-10.jpg

Candle your eggs!
34566_candling-11.jpg

Good luck!
Mary

hi

i made this one with a LED flashlight,

a piece of cardstock covered with electrical tape then i cut a hole in the center of that to go on the lens of the flashlight,

i put the core of an empty scotch tape roll, wrapped with electrical tape over then metal surround around the lens

all of this i had in my house

79557_candler_13.jpg

i'm at day three of my second hatch, going to try this tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom