Homesteaders

Pics
My 13 year old still hasn't outgrown his pickiness. But I have always done just what mot others have said. I give hime 2 or 3 bites of what he doesn't like & load up what he does like. The few bites are MANDATORY!

I do that too!!!! it works almost every time as long as you make them eat the bites BEFORE they get the good stuff.

Last edited:
As a child I was real picky, so momma just gave up and let me eat what ever I wanted . When I got older I tryed different foods on my own. Now I eat almost everything I use to wouldn't eat. They will be all right and their tastes will change as they get older. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they will grow out of it. Just make sure they get their vitamins. I know y'all worry all good mothers do, you just want the best for them and to be healthy. They will make it and be all right I'm sure.:love

Feeling more and more like a homesteader. Just got my first egg yesterday and another one today. Made some scrambled eggs. That was about 9am(?) and now its 1pm. I still feel full.

I also picked some cheddar cauliflower.

The more and more I do, the more I realize that its better than buying it.

I don't think I can ever eat a store bought egg again. I'll do without.

He is still being picky, but I did get him to eat some shrimp wonton soup with noodles (I fibbed and told him it was Ramen with shrimp) he tried the noodles and a shrimp. He loves shrimp but I didn't blame him that he didn't eat even 1 shrimp, I think it had been in the freezer too long, but he got some homemade applesauce after he tried some of everything. He has gotten a little bit better, I am just hoping it doesn't last too long. His newest thing is pouring cars down my shirt as I am sitting on the floor, so I just poured them down his pants.
gig.gif
Those little things are like ice cubes when they go down your back!!

Oh yeah.. the uber picky days. My Mom would be all "She ate all of her vegetables for me. I don't know why she won't eat the spinach you make."

My older sister ratted out Mom's technique- she blended it and mixed it in with mashed potates- told my daughter it was magic food the fairies ate so they would grow strong wings and fly.

So shady Mom... soooo shady.

She was good and then hit that picky stage... until she was 12. Her cousin is 4 months younger and was the same. Getting those 2 to help in the garden did get them to eat more veggies. Sugar snap peas I couldn't get them to stop eating (that worked on my neices too- they only ever wanted to eat carbs- pasta, rice, potatoes, bread- that's all... until they got to pick it out of the garden.) "Dinosaur kale" .. you know.. like the dinosaurs ate (wink wink).. Getting them to help in the kitchen also helped. We made "stone soup" after reading them the book.

Oh yeah.. the uber picky days. My Mom would be all "She ate all of her vegetables for me. I don't know why she won't eat the spinach you make."

My older sister ratted out Mom's technique- she blended it and mixed it in with mashed potates- told my daughter it was magic food the fairies ate so they would grow strong wings and fly.

So shady Mom... soooo shady.

She was good and then hit that picky stage... until she was 12. Her cousin is 4 months younger and was the same. Getting those 2 to help in the garden did get them to eat more veggies. Sugar snap peas I couldn't get them to stop eating (that worked on my neices too- they only ever wanted to eat carbs- pasta, rice, potatoes, bread- that's all... until they got to pick it out of the garden.) "Dinosaur kale" .. you know.. like the dinosaurs ate (wink wink).. Getting them to help in the kitchen also helped. We made "stone soup" after reading them the book.

I prefer my spinach in a Spinach pie DW makes, but if she uses to much then I don't like it. I also prefer spinach fresh in a salad or on a sandwich, rather than cooked.
Sometimes how a food is prepared can be a factor. There are some things DW likes and the kids like that I don't and won't eat now that they're grown.
I did eat bits of it when they were at the dinner table to set the example and keep the peace.

Feeling more and more like a homesteader. Just got my first egg yesterday and another one today. Made some scrambled eggs. That was about 9am(?) and now its 1pm. I still feel full.

I also picked some cheddar cauliflower.

The more and more I do, the more I realize that its better than buying it.

I don't think I can ever eat a store bought egg again. I'll do without.

I have a friend who can't eat store bought eggs. Other wise he gets sick. Even Egglands Best makes him sick. Can't say why or how just that they do.

There is satisfaction in the accomplishment of growing your own food.
big_smile.png

"In 1999, Pennsylvania pastured poultry producer Barb Gorski used a grant from the USDA's Sustainable Ag. Research and Education program to have meat and eggs from her own birds and those of two other farmers tested for a range of nutritional factors. The pastured eggs were found to contain 10% less fat, 34% less cholesterol, 40% more vitamin A and four times as much omega-3 fatty acids compared to the standard values reported by the USDA for commercial eggs.
Numerous studies suggest that diets high in omega-3s can help protect against heart disease, mitigate the effects of Type II diabetes and benefit the human body's immune responses.
The pastured chicken meat (with skin on) contained 21% less fat, 30% less saturated fat and 50% more vitamin A than the USDA standard."

This excerpt from an article (may/june 2010) I give to new customers

Now I can't say that my eggs contain these amounts but even if they contain half as much as this test shows that in my opinion makes them a healthier egg than commercial.

Last edited:
I have a friend who can't eat  store bought eggs. Other wise he gets sick. Even Egglands Best makes him sick.  Can't say why or how just that they do. 

There is satisfaction in the accomplishment of growing your own food.  :D   

"In 1999, Pennsylvania pastured poultry producer Barb Gorski used a grant from the USDA's Sustainable Ag. Research and Education program to have meat and eggs from her own birds and those of two other farmers tested for a range of nutritional factors.  The pastured eggs were found to contain 10% less fat, 34% less cholesterol, 40% more vitamin A and four times as much omega-3 fatty acids compared to the standard values reported by the USDA for commercial eggs.  
Numerous studies suggest that diets high in omega-3s can help protect against heart disease, mitigate the effects of Type II diabetes and benefit the human body's immune responses.
The pastured chicken meat (with skin on) contained 21% less fat, 30% less saturated fat and 50% more vitamin A than the USDA standard."  

This excerpt from an article (may/june 2010) I give to new customers 

Now I can't say that my eggs contain these amounts but even if they contain half as much as this test shows that in my opinion makes them a healthier egg than commercial.  

Once I started growing peas, I couldn't buy store bought frozen ever again. In fact, a friend brought over a bag of peas. I thawed them and they were slimy mushy. But the chickens loved them :)

Very interesting article quote :)

For me, it's not the possible added nutrition. It's what's NOT in them that counts. Pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, etc. even if my eggs aren't any more nutritious, its worth not eating man made chemicals :)

And the "free" eggs are worth it. I figure at $15 a month for feed, that's $0.50 a day to have 5 laying hens. So now that 1 is laying, that's $0.50 for that one egg. Of course as more start laying, the cost drops. Hopefully it'll get down to $0.10 an egg :)

Of course once I start growing more food in the garden, cost should go down way more. Especially since the garden gets watered by stored rainwater :)

I started growing peas 2 years ago. I hate peas. Not anymore. We havent had a single pea make it into the house yet. We eat those suckers like candy.

I started growing peas 2 years ago. I hate peas. Not anymore. We havent had a single pea make it into the house yet. We eat those suckers like candy.
Strangely enough, home grown and older varieties have a taste that we've become unaccustomed to. Tomatoes and other vegetables have lost their flavor in exchange for a bigger harvest. It is sad.

Back
Top Bottom