Horse Talk

Pics
Okay so I've been researching all day (I'm obviously too excited) and I found a place just 45 minutes of me that rescues horses from kill pens, trains them, and adopts them out. Mostly mustangs too. So after some thinking I'll probably adopt one of them, or rescue through the original lady I posted about. I'm just torn becuase I really want a mustang, but I know they're safe now and will get adopted out, and I feel like I'd be doing more good saving one of the horses that are headed to slaughter. But at the same time if I adopt a mustang that'll make room for her to bring in more mustangs... Help me!

So your choices are a bay mare, a horse going to slaughter, and a trained mustang, am I right? I'm not sure I understand what your saying.

Yes. A free, sassy, untrained bay mare. Or a horse going to slaughter (would be trained but probably wouldn't know to what extent), or a mustang (there's 10 to choose from) that will be trained and I will have all the info on. I'm going to look at all the mustangs on Wednesday, and surely by then I will be able to see what slaughter horses are available this week too, which will help my decision some. The reason I can't decide is becuase I really want to adopt a mustang, but I feel like I'd be doing more good rescuing a slaughter horse.
Btw, we've pretty much decided against the free horse, we want to rescue

Here are some of the mustangs

This ones pregnant

None of those ones are broke yet, but you can adopt and they'll finish training before sending them home. There are 4 available right now that are, but I don't have pictures of them, there's a red roan, sorrel, bay, and dun. And they just brought a few more in yesterday, 2 palomino yearlings, a sorrel weanling, an extremely skinny bay mare, and a black gelding who is broke. The ones they got yesterday are in quarantine right now so the broke one won't be able to leave yet, but here he is

And it's safe to say they have more than 10 to choose from now lol

The black gelding? I think I might be in love with him already
1f602.png
As well as the other black one, the dun one with the funky white face marking, in the pregnant one. This is gonna be tough.
I'm pretty sure I'll end up going with a mustang, they hold a really special place in my heart. I just hope I don't see a beautiful sweet horse going to slaughter after I've already adopted one and feel guilty for not being able to save it.

So yes, you had it right. Hopefully I explained better that time too.

Yes, thanks. Um, why would they train horses and then send them to slaughter? I like mustangs too, but don't want a horse to be killed. It would be a hard decision for me too, my mom doesn't want to rescue slaughter horses because we don't know anything about their past, among other things. So I would prob have to get the mustang. I dunno.

I just have to add my two cents worth. All of your choices are good options but I feel like the people who take the time to "rescue" the horses (or dogs) and then pre train them and pre screen them so that they are truly ready to be adopted with a much higher chance of success ought to be one of the top choices. I cannot tell you how many times I have rescued an animal, put time into training, vetting, etc only to have people "pass" them up to "save" another. When the animals that I have rescued goes to a new home, it freed me up to rescue another so either way you are part of the "rescue" The question lies in whether you obtain joy from the training, vetting, and other "foster" type roles or whether you simply seek to help rescue while obtaining an animal that can give you the greatest relationship because the animal is ready for that relationship. Due to that mentality I pretty much gave up on rescuing animals and training for others and only rescue when they show up on my farm or for myself. Sad but too many times I had the perfect animal for the individual in personality, training etc only to be told, I really want to rescue one going to slaughter (or to be euthanized, etc). I admire your willingness to rescue and can tell you without a doubt they make the best animal companions under the right circumstances. All of the animals on the farm (save a few chickens) are rescues. My beloved Percheron cross being my favorite to this day. She was 750lbs under weight when I got her and now she is going on 31 years old. She tops at 15.3 and was 1650lbs in her prime. We did everything together until a shoulder injury ended her riding career and I began raising my own children. She continues to grace my barn with the grace and dignity of a retired warhorse having served many years doing a little of everything from trail riding, jousting, war battles, tournaments, camping, parades, riding lessons, jumping, pole-bending, dressage, archery and equine therapy. She was rescued by a friend who found her starved, abcessed foot, untrimmed and recently given birth to a foal.

Good luck with however you help "rescue" and know even though you can't rescue them all, it really really makes a difference to the horse you have.

Back
Top Bottom