Horses!!!!!!!!

Some people despise check reins, but they can be useful when dealing with the ones that want to try to grab a snack when you are working with them (perhaps because their heads are already so close to the ground, this seems to be more of a problem with the little guys). When the horse simply can't get its head down to graze, it is more inclined to listen instead of tuning you out. If you start off by lunging and doing a lot of in-hand work like backing and yielding, it can be helpful in getting the horse to focus on you. I had the same fight a lot with Syd when we first started, but once she gets it into her head that she has to pay attention to me, she can be very good. I took her out in the neighborhood a week or so ago; something I hadn't done for a few months, and I was surprised at how well she did. She has come a long way, and appears to be retaining more than I had expected, seeing how sporadic my efforts with her have been.

I am wanting to get a few Zebu's (mini brahma) and start training them for driving. I think it would be a very neat site. Syd's looking good.

Some people despise check reins, but they can be useful when dealing with the ones that want to try to grab a snack when you are working with them (perhaps because their heads are already so close to the ground, this seems to be more of a problem with the little guys). When the horse simply can't get its head down to graze, it is more inclined to listen instead of tuning you out. If you start off by lunging and doing a lot of in-hand work like backing and yielding, it can be helpful in getting the horse to focus on you. I had the same fight a lot with Syd when we first started, but once she gets it into her head that she has to pay attention to me, she can be very good. I took her out in the neighborhood a week or so ago; something I hadn't done for a few months, and I was surprised at how well she did. She has come a long way, and appears to be retaining more than I had expected, seeing how sporadic my efforts with her have been. 

I actually have a type of check rein on the harness i bought for him... It is custom fit for him. I haven't had the harness on him in years.... He also despises the bit, so i need to work on that.

Syd got mad about the check rein - she got mad about a lot of things at first, actually. As you can see from the picture, I was working her in a halter; I didn't want her mouth to get hurt if she decided to throw a tantrum. I went from that to a rope halter, and found that she went a lot better in it - I can be really, really light with reins, and she still feels it and responds. I will probably have to go to a bit eventually, but as some of the "natural horsemen" say, it isn't the piece of metal in their mouths that controls them, it's training. I figure getting her to do what I want her to do without a lot of argument and drama is more important than the tack, so if she'll go happily in a rope halter, I'm happy to work her in one.
idunno.gif

Any tips from those who do barrels? This is somethingi want to do, but my ol' mare is just that... Old. So i wont be doing any barrels anytime soon, BUT do you all have tips on what to look for in a barrel horse?:D

WRanch, wow! You have a lot of horses. I only have a QH mare and a mini stud :p
Broke broke broke!! Will move off of leg pressure and have a big heart. You can have the best bred barrel horse that has no heart in it or a grade horse with a huge heart for it. Can't ride papers, remember that! My little $200 grade gelding has been amazing!! It took 5 years of training and lots of miles under saddle but we are now consistently running in the mid to low 20's and working our way down! Enjoy the process. A connection with the horse is a must!

Back
Top Bottom