Horses!!!!!!!!

ederob

Songster
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Hi!!!!!!!! I love horses!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many people on BYC have them? I have 3. Traveller, he is a dapple gray quarter horse, Smooth, he is a chestnut quarter horse and Belle she is a brown miniature horse.

What do you guys think of this saddle ??? The price too? Mine is getting too small...

Thornhill saddles are an excellent quality saddle at an affordable price. Good materials, good workmanship, etc.

I currently have a Thornhill Vienna dressage saddle, and have been nothing but pleased with it.

$385 is a reasonable price for that saddle in good condition. If it *FITS YOUR HORSE* then I would go for it.

Saddles are DEFINITELY one item you do not want to go "cheap" on. Cheap saddles are often really crappy quality, build and fit, and can actually harm your horse. Proper saddle fitting seems to be the most common element that horse people are ignorant about. It is extremely important to have a proper fitting and properly placed saddle - you risk injuring muscles and joints otherwise, sometimes to the point that horse is permanently damaged. The more time you spend in the saddle, the more important the fit it for the horse. And no, just adding extra padding DOES NOT solve all the fitting problems.

I'm not saying GOOD saddles cannot be found for $150, but it is very rare to be able to find them. You could equate it to finding a low-mileage, like-new Mercedes for $500. It just doesn't happen very often.

You can search YouTube and find some really really educational and easy to understand videos on saddle fitting.

So y'all, I am thinking about buying a Miniature Horse and showing it. I would also want a mare so I could breed her and sell her foals. Do y'all think this is a good idea? Here is a pic of on I really like:
612977_miniature-horse-for-sale_photo_1_1395001472_big.jpg

Cute! Love her colour :)

Last edited:
Hello! I have 2 horses.. Starr is 22 years old and Budd is 5. I have had Starr for 21 yrs and have had Budd for 4 yrs. We trail ride and camp with the horses. LOVE IT!!!

Budd is a linky 2 yr old here.. he has grown into a very stout 15.3 hand boy! What do you do with your horses? Do you trail ride?? There is so much to do with horses!!

Thanks!!!!!!!! I push cows for fun and a farm chore!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it took a LOT of patiece to train Budd!!!!!

I have learned over the years that I get the best results by buying a young horse and training it myself. That way you get exactly what you want. A horse can be treated very well and respect you at the same time!! Trust and respect is very important!! Some horses arent worth the effort,but most are!! I believe that if I had not bought Budd he would have end up as alpo. He flipped over backwards onto the driveway the day I picked him up. All the lady did was tug tug tug on his rope.
hu.gif
Give a horse their head and they relax! He has grown sooo big and stout he would be a very scarey horse if acted that way now!! He is the best trail horse! He has a home forever!!
This only works if you know what you are doing. I have seen several well-behaved, well-"broke" horses develop some really bad behaviors from being in the hands of somebody who thought they knew what they were doing, but really didn't. The problem is that a horse's training is a lifelong process; he's learning all the time. He may do something subtle that the handler doesn't notice (or thinks is cute), and he get away with it, so the next time he goes a bit further and gets away with that. Before you know it, he's a handful, and the owner says, "what happened? He used to be so sweet! I guess he just wasn't trained right," when what has happened is that they "trained" these new behaviors without realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom