Houdans

Pics
Good luck Aoxa,
I hope you get some good birds and anything you dont like will surely make someone happy.
Houdans are just fun to watch. Many people who dont like chickens are really interested in the Houdans, dont even see them as chickens.
They think we have some kind of big dumb parrot (lol)

Good luck Aoxa,
I hope you get some good birds and anything you dont like will surely make someone happy.
Houdans are just fun to watch. Many people who dont like chickens are really interested in the Houdans, dont even see them as chickens.
They think we have some kind of big dumb parrot (lol)
thumbsup.gif

Yes they are indeed special! I love the breed. Can't wait to get more.

I'm thinking of ordering some Mottled Houdan females from McMurray and just seeing how they do. I'll still be getting my 20 from Kevin, so if these do not grow to my liking for breeding, I can always keep them in my laying flock or sell them as pets. 

I like that they are sexed. Might be worth it... If I get 1 or 2 worth breeding out of 10 I would be happy...

A friend of mine and a few others are putting together to get them imported. Might as well join in.. I'm going to get some Easter Eggers and maybe a few bantam cochins just because.. 

My hatchery girls are from McMurray. The lady that ordered them said that a total of three (including one of mine) didn't make it. My remaining girls are all sweeties and going strong. All have five toes. Time will tell how they turn out as far as quality goes. They have the right number of toes, so that's good :)

We got a Houdan chick today! The silver laced polish chicks that I had on order didn't make it, and they had an extra Houdan pullet at the farm, so we swapped out. I'm excited to get such a fantastic little bird as a surprise!

Last edited:
I got 2 Mottled Houdans on Thursday and so far I'm really like the breed
thumbsup.gif
My only question is would be; do you consider Houdans
to make good pets?
Yes they do make good pets.

Quote:
Houdans have a crest, beard and muffs. The crest gives them the top-hat look of a Polish chicken, likely one of the breeds originally crossed to develop the Houdan. The most popular color is the mottled black and white, although there is an all-white variety, and colors such as black, mottled blue and mottled red were once available. All Houdans have a distinctive V-shaped comb, small earlobes and wattles hidden by their fancy feathering.
This is one of the better ornamental breeds for general utility use, as the hens are fairly good egg producers. Houdans lay small to medium-size white eggs. Standard roosters average seven pounds, but can weigh up to eight pounds. The hen weighs between five and a half to six and a half pounds. There is also a bantam variety. Because Houdans are a docile breed and do well in confinement, they fit in well with a small, backyard flock. They are also economical, making good use of food in comparison to egg production. Although some poultry clubs consider the breed "rare," Houdan stock can be found at larger hatcheries.
Because of their crest, Houdans require plenty of space; however, they may not be very practical on free range because their crest limits their vision in avoiding predators. They also require water containers that prevent them from getting the crest wet, especially in cold weather. The crest and beard can vary widely, from a smooth flowing "hat and mane" to a wild looking spiky "do."
Houdans have fairly short legs, with five toes on each foot. The chicks are typically black and white with tiny beginnings of a crest and beard. They are easily distinguished by their fifth toe, which is located part way up the leg.

We have found the Houdan to have an extremely docile nature, and if obtained whilst still very young, will give young children a great deal of pleasure as they are great pets and seem to enjoy the attention. The hens make the best pets, as the males can be flighty.

Back
Top Bottom