How do Chicks Sleep At Night ?

DrRob

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Middle Chinnock, Crewkerne,UK
Good Day All,

I was given 2x 2 1/2 week old Chocolate Cochin/Pekin Bantam chicks today and they are now in my brooder all snuggly and warm but I was wondering how do chicks usually sleep at night? Do they sleep underneath the heatlamp, is this not to bright for them to sleep under ?

It would be great to know.

If anyone out there could comment that would be fantastic.

Regards
Dr Rob.

** Here is a photo I took earlier - Sorry it is a little fuzzy ! **
** http://www.facebook.com/search.php?...=a.10150102427543396.291119.758498395&theater **

Do you have a clear or red heat lamp? Mine don't seem to care either way. The red lamps produce less light, though. Mine like to curl up wherever they are comfortable. So, if the ambient temperature is low in our garage, they get closer to the lamp. If the ambient temperature is higher, they'll spread out some more. Most of my chicks sleep curled up in a ball, but a couple are sleeping on the mini-roost I made.

Sorry I never said what I had - oops !
I have a red bulb over the center of the brooder box and they are under that with their bodies out quite wide (well one is).

Thanks
Dr Rob.

My bantams are less than a week old so far but I did notice that they sleep in a closely snuggled group near the visible ring of the red lamp I have on them.
Oh, and they tend to just flop themselves down and sleep at all times of the day as well.

Thank you for that, I can go to bed now !

Dr Rob.
celebrate.gif

Mine slept under the light, which was red.

The thing that freaked me out, though, was that often, a chick would drop onto its side with no warning and look dead! That's just how they slept. It scared me to death the first couple of times.

Quote:
lol.png
Mine did that at first, too. They'd flop over, stretch their legs out, and fall asleep. We lost 22 of 26 chicks from the shipment, so I was REALLY worried at first. It seems that is pretty typical chick behavior, though.

Oh yes the hubby and I both freaked when a chick would flop on its side and stretch its legs out and look ssssoooo dead. Touch the little thing and its gone! in a flash. I ordered 30 from Ideal and got 31. So far all are well.
THE biggest thing is with the info from everyone on BYC, I can spend 10 min. on my birds on the days I'm feeling bad and they are good to go and have all they need for 24 hours.
This shoulder will heal and I will get over the flue, but in the mean time the chicks will survive!

They will sleep whereever they 'feel' the best... if it is a little cold - they may sleep under light.. if warmer... they will sleep furtherest from the light. If you notice an extreme case either way - then they need more heat or less heat.

Back
Top Bottom