How do you heat your coops

Has anyone ever seen a crow or robin or sparrow dead cuz of the cold weather?   Neither have I.   So no heat here, my chickens have it better then the tiny wild birds in my yard.

Please don't take this the wrong way as its a real question not a snide remark lol but don't the other birds fly south for the winter?

We are in a temperate climat so ours don't but I grew up under the impression that birds in extreme cold temp areas high tailed it outa there for the winter?

Last edited:
There are several reasons why some birds migrate from season to season. It may well have as much to do with available food supply as it does temperatures directly. Of course, in the wild, temperatures do impact available food supply, so while related to temperatures, it is only indirectly related to temperature.

Many birds do not migrate. Many, many species remain, even through the very worst of winter. Nature likely provides the correct balance. In winter, there isn't enough food supply for all to stay, so many species migrate out. In the spring, those migrating fowl return. The surge in summer's insect hatch alone provides a ready supply of food for both those who had stayed and those who return.

As far as chickens go, it is humorous to consider huge flocks of migrating chickens. Have never seen that. LOL

Last edited:
Well there you go. You know the older I get the more things I learnt off TV turn out to not be true lol. Its funny but unless given a reason to question it you never do :)

Please don't take this the wrong way as its a real question not a snide remark lol but don't the other birds fly south for the winter?

We are in a temperate climat so ours don't but I grew up under the impression that birds in extreme cold temp areas high tailed it outa there for the winter?
Penguins don't. Migrate to warmer temps, that is. Robins don't. (They take to the woods where there are pine trees to hide in, until spring) Canada Geese do. But it is relative. Those way up in Canada come as far south as the Chesapeake River valley, where it still snows and freezes. Those that live in the Chesapeake area go further south. It all depends on if food is available for them during the winter months. Ironically, here in the USA, the patterns of migratory birds are changing due to the amount of people who put out bird feeders, so birds that used to fly further south for winter feeding are staying further north because there is food for them in people's back yards. Probably not a good thing, because people are notorious in forgetting to fill their feeders when the snow flies and it gets harder to walk outside to fill them. Poor birds.

No, you misunderstood the conversation or, more likely... I put it badly.

I don't want a situation in Montana where the chickens are so free range there isn't even a coop. Which is what one lady here does (a relative by marriage). Her chickens have toes frozen off, she doesn't feed them they just get what she tosses out the back door for all the animals to fight over. There are 3 roosters per hen running all over the place and the hens backs are worn out and openly bleeding so they peck at each other. Predation is pretty bad, That's an animal cruelty issue IMHO (as a former member of the next county's local Humane Society). I'm in no way shape or form a PETA type, in fact I think they are the most dangerous group out there for animals (I know someone will start in on me).

I don't have a problem with the animals being in the Taj Mahal or a lean to, as long as they are healthy with food and water.

I've run into a lot of flock owners in the last few weeks and feel better about what I want to do. None of them are heating coops, just keeping the wind and water out and possibly putting in a light for a few extra hours a day. They have beautiful healthy flocks so I'm more comfortable with what I have on the planning board so to speak.

No, not all birds fly south for the winter. I have lots of birds here in Montana that over winter here. Most of our game birds stay in the area.

As for feeding them, some have gotten smart enough to come peck on my window if the feeders aren't full in the winter. And, the birds don't stop till I fill the feeder. Waking up to a ticked off sparrow or whatever knocking on your bedroom window is highly annoying when you work nights. I check the feeders hanging off the deck before I go to bed, in 2 feet of snow. :)

I have a light 60 watt bulb and a heated roost small wire built into roost and electric door on timer keeps coop with six hens nice and warm all winter .

I have small bantams. I use a SweeterHeater plugged into a Thermocube so it turns on and off according to temperature. It's infrared, and attached to the back wall of my coop, facing the roost. A wireless device ($12.00) lets me monitor the function from inside the house. Ventilation near the roof keeps moisture down. I have a large cage attached to the coop that I open a door to during the day. That area is unheated except for what little sun it gets. Sheltered by the house on the west side, fence on the north and south, and I put plexiglass (these are pets) and choroplast on the sides and top for North wind protection, and rain. Insulation board on the bottom, under a rubber mat with sand & shavings on top. The "roof" and top rear of this enclosure is vented.

Water bowl is also connected to a thermocube.

Maybe they would survive just fine without the heat, but survival and comfort are two very different things. My girls will go to GREAT lengths not to step in snow when I let them out into the larger pen on nicer days. They put a foot down, jerk it up, try again, and then fly over the snow to a bare patch. Our weather can get bitter, with wide swings in temperature. I'd rather keep the coop just above freezing, and not have to worry about sleeping through a sudden bad temperature dip; the Thermocube is on duty!

Well, it sounds like you have an issue with your relative then. If the relative is practicing animal cruelty, talk to your ex-job. Send them out there. Sounds like youve done a thorough head count of her flock even with them being completely free range. If you think there's a case turn it in and be done with it. Then manage your own flock to your standards.

Back
Top Bottom