How do you heat your coops

I tend to stay away from them. No need for the aggravation :)

I love how everyone believes there are "people" who handle animal cruelty things everywhere. I was on the Board of a humane society in another county. There is no such organization in this county. The county government won't spend money on it. And, it has to be privately run since the government won't get involved. We're working on that. Hopefully, in the next couple of years the fundraising will pay off.

Oh well, I'm glad to have found people that can help me with useful stuff! I feel way better now!

We have a humane society here in our USA. Also you might to ask your relative if you can take the chickens off her hands. Maybe something is going an in her life that prevents her from caring for them. Suggest calling a 4-H club. They might take some. The local school agriculture science class may help. We have humane society, anima shelters although I doubt they can take a flock. Chicken Rescue. Do an line search at chicken rescue.com they may offer suggestions.

Just for reference, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) does not have a shelter on the ground in this country. What they are is a HUGE misconception out there. All those shelters across the country are local humane societies and unaffiliated with the Humane Society of the United States. HSUS is a political PAC. If you are donating money to HSUS to help your local animal welfare agencies, they aren't getting the money. HSUS works legislation etc. It does serve a purpose, but it doesn't run shelters or actually check local animal welfare cases. There are times when they will release funds to locally run groups (i.e. google Chilinski Malamutes in my county) for assistance though.

My relative doesn't have any situation or problems, she thinks what's she's doing is just fine. In fact, she is highly active in the local 4-H groups here. Much like the case in this county last year, (Chilinski Malamute case) someone is going to go up there, take pictures and threaten the county commissioners with sending it to the press before anything gets done.

Hi Nevada Sun
I am pretty new to the chicken raising myself. I have 5 ladies. Right now they range outside and come in the wood shed at night but I am thinking about a coop inside the shed and thinking about heating, water, sand, light via installation of a southern window and/or a safe light. Lots to think about to keep my chooks happy. I will have to check out the heater you mentioned. Thanks for the info.
HI,, I guess you are talking to me about the Orek heater,, I know they make them here in Winnipeg, Manitoba not sure where else,, but you know after reading last year about everything I used a heat lamp instead with a wire mess around the light holder ... just in case the light bulb fell out,, a little crazy about safety..I used two of them and it was great, I had to move the water around as right by the pop doors it would start to freeze.. must get better insulation for those doors.. everyone is right and I am glad for this BYC line.. everyone is so very helpful.. Thanks to everyone.. Good Luck VTchooks...enjoy!!!! Kristin

I use an 85 watt red flood light for my small coop. Don't use the mats for chickens, they will peck at them. I live in MT. and I have screening on the floor of the coop w/ pine shavings only. Even then w/ only that light they will scratch for more air. They really don't need alot of heat.

In winter my watering set up is a Folger's large coffee plastic can w/a heater usually used for fish tank. I keep it on lowest setting so not to freeze yet water not too warm. It's a "Keep It Simple" around here!!

I have been around the sun 63 times.

It is not my first "Rodeo!"

Nobody "I know" heats a chicken coop.

Healthy "cold hearty" chickens die from heat not cold.

I live in Canada last year was subject to -40º (C or F take your pick) no light or heat in coop NO PROBLEMS.

Chickens have been raised on this continent for over a hundred years without heat.

If you feel you must supply heat to your chickens I suggest keeping your chickens in the house that way you can huddle with your birds when the hydro goes out.

Chickens will die from cold if not given the chance to acclimatize. Hydro is more apt to go out in an ice storm or blizzard when subject to below 0º temperatures in my opinion.

How would you supply heat then to your un-acclimatized birds ???

Diary of last winter cold snap check out the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738994/chickens-arctic-conditions-prolonged-period

It makes since...birds that have heated coops will suffer if the power goes out because they have not addapted to the temperatures. Provide a draft free coop (still with ventilation) and they will be happy and healthy.
love.gif

I do not heat any of my coops. Only chicks get a heat source. Our winters are not excessive-- a rare night is 5 degrees, 20 degrees is more the norm on a winters night.

Plenty of water and plenty of feed.

Back
Top Bottom