How do you heat your coops

wow, I have never heard or seen these… I have the typical glass, red, with aluminum that surrounds it,, you just screw this bulb into the aluminum … it is just a normal plug in the wall.. hmmmm

wow, I have never heard or seen these… I have the typical glass, red, with aluminum that surrounds it,, you just screw this bulb into the aluminum … it is just a normal plug in the wall.. hmmmm

hanging cord with a plug in the wall isn't the safest thing. at a minimum put hooks in the ceiling and attach the cord so it doesn't dangle, and put a hardware cloth screen around the lamp so if it breaks less glass falls and the birds can't fly up against it.

Contrary to whole lot of "opinions", here is my take on heat sources.
If you use heatlamps, double chain hung on secure hooks, and have the cord secured too, so a lot of attachment , I could literally swing on mine.
I am not currently using it for a heat source.
I do use a 600 watt electric oil filled rad heater, it is cage in, and very secure. I use it to take the egde off the cold, and perhaps to keep a coop water source from freezing.
Some people on here think they have -40 temps, they probably don't, we do however, on occasion, plenty of -30, which is bad enough.
Most of you on this forum, do not experience -20, let alone -40, be glad you don't, when it's -30 to -40, it's not only unpleasant, it's downright dangerous.
Here is what I have used, the heat lamp hanging, had a 175 watt red bulb, now sued as a plain CFL light fixture.Also now use the above mentioned rad heater, with great success.
Touch wood, we are extremely lucky, and power outages are rare, and not very long, we are very fortunate, and hydro prices here are relatively cheap as compared to all other North American districts...

Thanks Rooster Rules,, and how true… so this heater please tell me more.. I was looking to an orek heater.. Spelling.. made here in winnipeg I think… what about the dust from the chickens.. I am so afraid of Fire, but it is so so cold now they need the heat I feel as the water is always freezing if I don't.. I am new to this and my husband and I are getting confused.. last year I had it way to warm so I need to do it correct this year… I love the set up you have… Kristin

Thanks Rooster Rules,, and how true… so this heater please tell me more.. I was looking to an orek heater.. Spelling.. made here in winnipeg I think… what about the dust from the chickens.. I am so afraid of Fire, but it is so so cold now they need the heat I feel as the water is always freezing if I don't.. I am new to this and my husband and I are getting confused.. last year I had it way to warm so I need to do it correct this year… I love the set up you have… Kristin
Hello, go to Walmart or Canadian tire and get an oil filled rad heater, have hubby build a cage around it, then blow off the dust when needed with air compressor.
if you go with heat lamps buy brooder fixtures, and hang very securely with hooks and chains, and be smart about it, take all precautions.
if you have a coop that is well insulated, use a heated a water base or heated dog bowl. Just use enough heat to keep around the freezing point. If you have cold hardy birds, just make sure they have open water, and something to take the edge off. if you have Silkies or some delicate breed , keep em warmer.

Here is a weather forecast for the cold hardy types,Warning not for the squeamish .

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?mb-38&unit=i

I've decided for the real frigid 20 below and beyond stuff to try this radiant panel.

Found it at target for $40. We'll see how it goes. It's called Cozy Legs Radiant panel. You can mount it on a wall, etc. Has safety mechanisms

We had -31 Friday night into Saturday and the birds weren't too appreciative. Coop temp maintained at -15 to -20.... Still a little rough for them though...I could see. We'll be in and out these temps throughout this week and I don't know what the rest of the winter will bring. It could be a "long one" again.

Chickens (like all animals) are designed to be accustomed to outside living. The only reason to insulate and/or heat a coop is to make the Owner feel better and give the local Electric Utility some extra revenue.

Hello, go to Walmart or Canadian tire and get an oil filled rad heater, have hubby build a cage around it, then blow off the dust when needed with air compressor.
if you go with heat lamps buy brooder fixtures, and hang very securely with hooks and chains, and be smart about it, take all precautions.
if you have a coop that is well insulated, use a heated a water base or heated dog bowl. Just use enough heat to keep around the freezing point. If you have cold hardy birds, just make sure they have open water, and something to take the edge off. if you have Silkies or some delicate breed , keep em warmer.

Here is a weather forecast for the cold hardy types,Warning not for the squeamish .

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?mb-38&unit=i
Sorry for the double post but I just checked out the forecast. My little brother is in Winnipeg right now. He grew up in the desert so that's quite a shock for him!

Back
Top Bottom