How do you heat your coops

Here in Michigan the temps are about the same at night but we know it is going to change as we near the winter months. Our egg production is unbelievable right now and at a peak. Based on pro and con articles, I insulated only the ceiling in my coop. I have closed off my exterior windows at night but leave an exit and entry chute open. I have noticed my girls have turned their backsides facing away from the chute door and drafts at night while perching on their roosting boards and poles. A sure sign telling me I need to close those up as well. I have sufficient ventilation so I would assume they will be fine. No severe molting as yet, but I can tell some winter feathers are filling in their coats and buff. Put on your hat, your boots, your muff and gloves and snuggle up to those you love! Stay warm girls!

Here in Michigan the temps are about the same at night but we know it is going to change as we near the winter months. Our egg production is unbelievable right now and at a peak. Based on pro and con articles, I insulated only the ceiling in my coop. I have closed off my exterior windows at night but leave an exit and entry chute open. I have noticed my girls have turned their backsides facing away from the chute door and drafts at night while perching on their roosting boards and poles. A sure sign telling me I need to close those up as well. I have sufficient ventilation so I would assume they will be fine. No severe molting as yet, but I can tell some winter feathers are filling in their coats and buff. Put on your hat, your boots, your muff and gloves and snuggle up to those you love! Stay warm girls!
Maybe keeping a door open at the entrance and at the back is causing air to move through like a draft? This is my first winter with my girls so I'm no expert, but in Boise I'm just tarping. No insulation no lights. I know the ducks will be fine, they are fatty and if the hens start showing frostbite signs (which I doubt) I'll use some Vaseline. Amen to staying warm!

Maybe keeping a door open at the entrance and at the back is causing air to move through like a draft?

I would say "Yes".

There can be no draft if there is nowhere for the wind to go. Look back at the coop in Jack's post (198). Front totally open, the other three sides are closed. I imagine the front of that coop could get some draft if the wind is coming in at a flat angle, like if you have the front and back windows of your car open on the Interstate, but only on one side. Any wind blowing in the front of a coop like Fred's won't be going anywhere near the back of the coop since the air that is already there will "push" it back.

Bruce

That's the way my coop works. In the book, the author/designer refers to it as the "Air cushion". I don't care from which way, or how hard the wind blows, you do not feel anything in the coop. No swirling winds, no drafts.
Jack

Last edited:
Maybe keeping a door open at the entrance and at the back is causing air to move through like a draft? This is my first winter with my girls so I'm no expert, but in Boise I'm just tarping. No insulation no lights. I know the ducks will be fine, they are fatty and if the hens start showing frostbite signs (which I doubt) I'll use some Vaseline. Amen to staying warm!
Boise is way cold like here in Montana, frost bite and using vasoline ? Maybe you could make a few sides hard to block more cold. I hate when folks seek the answer to frost bite is vasoline, how about them not suffering in the first place by being no so cold?

That's the way my coop works. In the book, the author/designer refers to it as the "Air cushion". I don't care from which way, or how hard the wind blows, you do not feel anything in the coop. No swirling winds, no drafts.
Jack
As long as the door is closed, right? LOL! When the wind is blowing, just opening the door on mine will suck me right with it!

As for Vaseline. I tried it and it didn't do any good at all, I still got some frost on the tips of those Minorcas with it. Actually, what gets them is when their wattles dip in the water bowl and they stay wet. There, the Vaseline does help.
But once again, keep it dry dry dry dry dry and you won't see much of that frost getting them.

As long as the door is closed, right? LOL! When the wind is blowing, just opening the door on mine will suck me right with it!

As for Vaseline. I tried it and it didn't do any good at all, I still got some frost on the tips of those Minorcas with it. Actually, what gets them is when their wattles dip in the water bowl and they stay wet. There, the Vaseline does help.
But once again, keep it dry dry dry dry dry and you won't see much of that frost getting them.
You are right there. If a strong wind is blowing toward the open front. You better have a firm hold of the door when you unlatch it. Don't ask me how I know. :)
Jack

Actually, what gets them is when their wattles dip in the water bowl and they stay wet. There, the Vaseline does help.

Another reason I think I'll like the chicken nipple waterer I made. Besides ME not making a mess filling it, they can't either and they don't get their wattles in the water so I won't have a frostbite problem.

Another reason I think I'll like the chicken nipple waterer I made. Besides ME not making a mess filling it, they can't either and they don't get their wattles in the water so I won't have a frostbite problem.

I was looking into building a chicken nipple system for my run also... but I was concerned that if it got cold enough that frostbitten chickens is a legitimate concern, it would be cold enough to freeze my chicken nipples off, so to speak.

How do you maintain a chicken nipple system in the winter months?

I was looking into building a chicken nipple system for my run also... but I was concerned that if it got cold enough that frostbitten chickens is a legitimate concern, it would be cold enough to freeze my chicken nipples off, so to speak.

How do you maintain a chicken nipple system in the winter months?
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom