How do you keep your water from freezing?

Pics
Update: The bucket has now proven itself down to -10 degrees. It had some frost around the top inch of the inside of the bucket, but the water was still liquid and the horizontal nipples remained unfrozen. At only 60watts, it is economical as well. Very good solution if you don't need a 5-gal bucket setup.
Did you put a lid on that? Any insulation around bucket?

Okay...good news! Currently my heated waterer sits on a piece of plywood that sits on top of a cinder block. Had ice in the trough constantly with these frigid temps. I took a piece of paper-backed insulation board, duct taped the edges so the little white styrofoam crap wouldn't come out and be a snack for the chickens. I put that insulation board in between the waterer and the plywood. Zero icing this morning and we were below zero last night!!! Woohoo!!! Quickie fix!

Okay...good news! Currently my heated waterer sits on a piece of plywood that sits on top of a cinder block. Had ice in the trough constantly with these frigid temps. I took a piece of paper-backed insulation board, duct taped the edges so the little white styrofoam crap wouldn't come out and be a snack for the chickens. I put that insulation board in between the waterer and the plywood. Zero icing this morning and we were below zero last night!!! Woohoo!!! Quickie fix!

I need a picture. Sorry

:he:lau Yeah you put it under the block not between the block and the waterer.

I would recommend one of these:

http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-tecnici/heaters/mini-heater_.php

Basically, you punch a hole in the top of your waterer. It is better if your waterer is made of metal. You can then pull the cable out of the hole so that the heater will remain in the water. Of course you must close the hole with silicon as otherwise air pressure will push the water out of the waterer.

The nice thing is that these heaters are not made of glass so I don't think they will cause a catastrophic hazard even if the weather gets so cold that it freezes. For me a single 15W heater is enough to keep the water from freezing when the outside temperatures are around 20F (it didn't get any colder this season so I cannot say until what temperature they would stay effective). If it gets much colder in your area, it could be better if you use a couple instead of one.

This setup really helped me as I no longer have to replace the waterers every day.

Hope this helps,
Oguz

Back
Top Bottom