How do you keep your water from freezing?

What kind if heater in the bucket?
Even my AQ heater(keeps water 68F) won't keep outer nipple lip pool and spring from freezing much below -12F.
After alot of looking locally, and on line, I think I have decided on this heater setup for my 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterers
https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-ultimate-bucket
/dp/148399
But as luck would have it I will probably recieve it AFTER the ultra low temps here in Western N.Y. have passed!!!! Lol

That was in Chicago area.
The new one is in Michigan. This winter is bad. And the exhaust is too high . Can't heat the water well.View attachment 1228349 View attachment 1228349 View attachment 1228350 View attachment 1228349 View attachment 1228350 View attachment 1228349 View attachment 1228352
Well, here are some of my thoughts, as well as some observed facts.
1. You have a high efficiency furnace. The exhaust that comes out is not very hot compared to regular furnaces. The secondary heat extractor is what kicks up the efficiency to about 94%. Saves on heating bill for sure.
2. In the IDEAL UNIVERSE where nothing will go wrong, your setup does work. But we are not there, so thing can go wrong. There are some differences between your first home setup and your current home.
First home did not have any extensions added, it was higher off the ground than current . Your problems can start when, you could encounter an unexpected snow storm that dumps way more snow than usual. Your exhaust blocked can do some nasties.
A. Damage your furnace by overheating it. Could possibly cause flame rollout. That is when the inshot flame into the heat exchanger enters the control area where all your controls and valve are located. Possible fire hazard for sure.
B. A partially blocked exhaust can (I said can, not absolutely will) depending on amount of blockage cause incomplete combustion. Insufficient air to fuel ratio. That is when the CO (carbon monoxide) comes to focus. When your furnace is working properly, the exhaust fumes contain CO2 (carbon dioxide) and water vapor. There are traces of other things as well but generally small.
C. A heating inspector would advise you against your setup for such safety reasons.
3. We all try to figure ways to do thing that are convenient and cost free. Safety is one thing that should not be overlooked. You are where electricity is easily available. Have a GFCI outlet on the exterior of your home installed and use one of these. The current consumption in dollar$ is trivial compared to one Service Call to repair your furnace.
dog water.jpg

25 watts thermostatically controlled.

But...
If you have birds with large wattles, they will get wet in an open waterer and get frostbite on the wattles.

Also an open bowl like opens up the possibility that the birds will mistakenly step in it while scuffling around and get frostbite on the feet which usually results in the loss of the foot and/or toes.

I've used a heated dog bowl for years, but only as a heater with a restricted opening waterer set on top.

Search in this thread to see how it's set up.

But...
If you have birds with large wattles, they will get wet in an open waterer and get frostbite on the wattles.

Also an open bowl like opens up the possibility that the birds will mistakenly step in it while scuffling around and get frostbite on the feet which usually results in the loss of the foot and/or toes.

I've used a heated dog bowl for years, but only as a heater with a restricted opening waterer set on top.

Search in this thread to see how it's set up.
I agree with you. The poster that I suggested has ducks. He is using open water source now. Forgot if this thread or different, I also am an advocate of heated horizontal nipple waterers. Here is a pix
waterer.jpg

Different setups for different circumstances.

Heated chicken water fonts are great. I prefer the top fill because i have several chickens and use the5 gallon font. If its bottom fill I it's too heavy to turn over full. I lost all my water turning it over. LOL

Just a question
Can chickens eat the snow instead of drinking water
When everything is frozen, how do wild birds and wild animals survive
As a backup, yes, I wouldn't make it their main water source tho.
Some of my birds love to eat snow, even with warm water in the coop.
Have used it as back up too when I had a segregated bird,
as I have no second heated waterer.

Back
Top Bottom