How Long Before it is Safe to Eat Eggs again after treating w/ Tylan?

The Monkey Mama

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Kennesaw, GA
We just treated our whole flock with Tylan to cure an eye infection they were passing around [it worked great BTW!].

They finished the course yesterday. For how long should I discard the eggs before they are safe to eat again after treatment?

Thanks!

Kelly

After 30 days, all of the eggs effected by the Tylan should be out of their system. This is just another way the FDA gets hyper hysterical about stuff. I can see not eating the eggs for 30 days, but NOT forever. Especially if you can eat a COW that's been on it after only 21 days. This is the same FDA that tells us we can eat genetically modified food and NO raw milk.

I think its a week or 10 days or maybe 2 weeks? do a search for Tylan..I am sure lots of posts will come up regarding that subject
wink.png

LOL - well, my search came up with everything from "no need to wait" to "discard for 7-10 days" to "discard for 2 weeks". Guess I'll discard for 2 weeks to be 100% safe!

Kelly

It is supposedly never safe to eat those eggs again, since Tylan is not fda approved for egg producing poultry....that being said, I used it this past fall, before we know about that and waited a full month before we ate eggs from those girls again. I cooked up over 12 eggs a day and gave back to the flock because I was not about to throw all those eggs out...during this time we hade several double yolkers, I guess because the increased protein. I will now not give the hens tylan, only my roosters...if it is severe enough..

Back
Top Bottom