How many are breeding for Blue Australorps here in America?

huppfarm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Duncan, Az, Poultry since 1995
Over the last 3 years we here at Hupp Farm in AZ. have been developing and documentating all our efforts to create Blue Australorps in order to get the Variety accepted into the "STANDARD OF PERFECTION."

We hit a stumbling block this year loosing our best breeders both Black and Blue for our project. Lucky for us we have youngsters that are healthy and we will begin breeding once again this time next year.

We would like to keep tabs on any serious breeders who will document their efforts for 5 years. We need at least 5 breeders who will do this but the more the merrier!

The A.P.A. requires this in order have sanctioned Blue Australorp Meet.

Let us know where your from and how long youve been breeding for the "Blues."

Have a Good Hatching Season!
Chet & Berta

Chet,
I just got my first second generation blue australorp baby on 2-8-14. I have 2 dozen eggs in the incubator from that pen and I am hoping for some more blue, black, splash australorps around the 8th of March. Thanks again for all your help.
Kurt

Melissa,
Yes and No to your first question. You will get a Orp Aussie cross. It will take about 5 generations to get rid of the fluffy bottom and butt of the Orps to make it look close to an SOP Australorp. Also Orps have a shorter comb than Aussies and other subtle differences. The other problem is the red leakage into the black that we are all fighting. I believe the red leakage comes from the Buff Orpington genes further back.To give you the short version breed your crosses back to good looking pure black aussies and hope for the best in maybe 5 generations! I forgot to tell you to cull, cull, and cull to get anywhere with that mission.
Kurt

Last edited:
OK, so if I breed the blue orp with a black orp will that help get rid of the red leakage in his feathers?
Yes, but it still takes several generations of breeding to kill the red leakage and it may still come up any time in the future on a single bird. Then again, do we know what was bred to make the blue Orp in the first place. People do not normally realize how complicated and onery that blue gene can be. It is far harder than just throwing two birds together to make a new color. Hope that helps.

A splash has 2 blue genes.
A blue has 1 blue gene and 1 black gene.
A black has 2 black genes.

Blu X Blu = 50% Blu 25% blk 25% splash
Blu X Splash = 50 Blu 50 Spl
Blu X Blk = 50 Blu 50 Blk (better darker blues)
Blk X Spl = 100% Blu (however the blues are lighter in color)
Spl X Spl = 100% Splash

Kurt

Beautiful Splash Aussie! Not surprised that he came from Kurt (RattleSnakeridgeWV). We highly recommend Kurt.
We starting breeding from Kurt's Birds, and we are so pleased. Kurt is great to do business with and very knowledgeable.

Tara
BluRoo Farm OH

BlueBaby,
This next breeding season will have one pen with only black birds. Believe it or not, I had a lot of requests last year for just blacks and I was not set up for that. The second pen will be blue and splash only. Third pen will be a mix probably. You will definitely need some of my blacks in the spring if you want to keep breeding.

I know this thread hasn’t been used in years but does anyone know if Blue australorps has been accepted by apa? We breed blue australorps and we’d like to show them if it’s an accepted color, for some reason i couldn’t find it on the internet.

Yes we use the Orpingtons as they are geneticly the same since the Australorp was created by using them.
We have been breeding the splash to black with results of some buff in wing bows and hackles, so our next attempt is breeding back to black to see if the buff will cancel out.

We also are going to create some Blue Orps and breed them into the blacks to see if that will also be positive for black on blue only without any buff traits.

I have heard of folks using any blue breed to mix it up with the B.A.s but im not really for that since many have to deal with skin color and feathered legs which just take up more time triyng to remove and may return several generations later (not good if you are selling hatching eggs and want to keep a good name in the poultry world).

you replied, so what do you know?

Back
Top Bottom