How many eggs does one peahen lay and what time frame is that?

I wouldn't throw them away. Nothing else wouldn't you cook the eggs and feed them back to flock like with chickens? Only infertile eggs. I felt like I wouldn't have success incubating them bc need of higher humidity (I failed with duck eggs) but yes I HATCHED OUT 4 actually.

View attachment 1093040

I forgot to mention MY OWN QUESTION. My peafowl free range and my question is how many eggs on average does a hen lay during one season? Bc mine free range I was lucky to find any. Between both hens I collected only 7 and hatched only 3.

A second year hen will lay about six eggs, a three year old hen around 24, and a four year hen can lay 36. Your results can vary and older hens will lay less and yes there is generally a break between clutches.

Just wondering if there is anyone in Idaho that raises and sells peafowl? I live near Lewiston, Idaho.
I'm in Nampa, Idaho. I breed Indian Blue and White peafowl. I sell Indian Blue peachicks $20 each, White peachicks $40 each. They are straight run. Right now I'm sold out of chicks. I should have some late spring early summer. Here are my breeding peafowl.
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG

My India Blue/pied hen is sitting on four eggs and should hatch end of Oct. I had iffy luck with an incubator in the past and now let the peahens hatch them. The main reason is I found that my incubator which was auto-heat and self-turning did not have an accurate heat sensor. I found this out by putting a thermometer inside with the eggs. I mention this bc it may be an incubation problem that others are having.

I keep reading when they begin breeding, is that when they lay eggs..or like chickens, their is an average age when they start laying?

Also, what do peafowl eggs taste like?

Thank u in advance
I live in Virginia, and mine lay every second day starting mid May. I remove them to sell or hatch and they lay for about 2 months. My hens all started laying at two years old, and were fertile by 2 year old males even though the males didn’t have full sized tails.

Last fall my pied hen's eggs didn't hatch due to being infertile. I noticed this spring that my IB Peacock's longest feathers have a V at the end. I am supposing that he is now sexually mature [age 5]. My 3 hens are each sitting on 6 eggs due to hatch this week and the next.
Yesterday I noticed that my Bronze hen had apparently thrown one egg out of the nest [on a table]. The shell was broken and there was an embryo inside. I don't know what happened. Could she have discovered a crack in the egg while turning them? It's not likely that it fell accidentally because when she started laying there, I put 1x4 boards along the edge of the table to prevent that.

Good to know -
Good to know - thanks!
AUSTRALIA: Is it necessary to give peahens laying mash for them to lay? I've had my peahen for 18 months, and she has laid only one egg in the first few weeks that I got her. She seems disinterested in the mating dance of the peacock, and yet the peacock does not seem to be mesmorising her, she does not crouch down, and he does not pounce on her. He has been consistently dancing for her all this time, and in the last week he and she are not "speaking" (staying on opposite sides of the garden during the day). The peacock is now screeching so much, like never before (they are still staying apart)!?

My 2 year old peahen began laying in March of this year. She laid 9 eggs, now nothing since the end of March. I have had no luck hatching the eggs, but know they were fertile, because one broke and had a tiny chick inside. Will she begin laying again this year? I wish I could find a buyer for the eggs rather than try to hatch- too nerve racking for me.
I hope things work out never for you re this.

Last fall my pied hen's eggs didn't hatch due to being infertile. I noticed this spring that my IB Peacock's longest feathers have a V at the end. I am supposing that he is now sexually mature [age 5]. My 3 hens are each sitting on 6 eggs due to hatch this week and the next.
Yesterday I noticed that my Bronze hen had apparently thrown one egg out of the nest [on a table]. The shell was broken and there was an embryo inside. I don't know what happened. Could she have discovered a crack in the egg while turning them? It's not likely that it fell accidentally because when she started laying there, I put 1x4 boards along the edge of the table to prevent that.
Aww, I hope it all gets worked out

Back
Top Bottom