How many Silkie roosters are too many?

Happy Day Farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
We had 2 adult silkies, one Hen and one Rooster. We decided to get some silkie chicks and purchased 7 (not sexed). Now that they are coming of age, we have realized that 5/7 are Roosters. We have 7 Silkie Roosters and 2 Hens. Do you think this will work out? They are 6 months old and seem to be a little rowdy. I am not sure if its because they are in a smaller run for the winter or if we have too many males together. What do you think? They are beautiful and very friendly.

I was just talking with a silkie breeder the other day about this.

She said that the most she would have is 1 roo to 5 hens. Even if the roos grew up together.

So, if you have 2 girls, then just one boy in with them. And even then he might wear them out- but you can wait and see if he is a gentleman. I agree with artsyrobin (and the other posters too)!!

A bachelor pad is best. You can kick out the last roo if he misbehaves to the bach. pad!

I'm dealing with this myself- I have one silkie girl and two boys. But I have 6 eggs in the incubator!!! I hope I get all pullets. I might be able to stretch my luck and keep the two boys in with 7 girls, lol.

Last edited:
You can pair the girl with one boy, and put the others all together, preferably well separated. As long as there are no females to trigger male behavior, they will probably do fine together. If you are wanting fertile eggs from more than one boy (coupled with the girl), you can trade them out periodically.

Some of my batchelors free range on yard pest control duty most of the time.

I agree. That would be too many for those hens. If you keep them separate, they should be ok. I love silkie roos! They are eye candy!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom