How many wine makers do we have here?

So far what I've done to my tomato wine is chopped the tomatoes, boiled de-pithed orange skins added sugar, cut up 3 bananas, and 2 oranges. I am going to let that set for 2-3 days in the fridge to let the flavors meld and then I will strain. Add the raisins to the strained pulp, add more water and sugar and heat then strain that liquid. All this is just trying to get the most flavor infused into the liquid to make the wine. Some of this comes from a couple of recipies combined and my thinking

This is what I wrote on a thread on TEG about making the green tomato wine.

Bottled the strawberry / orange / banana juice wine today, ended up w/ 5 quarts bottled and one settling out in the fridge. Racked the raspberry wine, it still has settling to do before it gets bottled. Got a quart of the raspberry "sludge" settling in the fridge too. Now I have 2 fermenters sitting all empty looking, so I'll probably get the ingredients for another batch of green tomato wine and chocolate wine and start those this week or so

Here is the recipe I used for green tomato wine, it is a mix of a few I found on line.

2.5 gallons

6-8 lbs of green tomatoes
3 bananas w/ peels
2 oranges w/ peels (remove white pith)
1/2 box rasins
8+ cups sugar (I did 8 but next time think I'll up it to 10-12)

Chop tomatoes, bananas and orange flesh add raisins, add water to cover. Take pithed orange peels boil in water to release oils / flavor add that to steeping water mix. I just kept it in the refrigerator for a few days to let the flavors all combine and meld. I then strained through a colander. Each time I completed straining liquid out I added more water and sugar (couple of cups each time) and cooked to a simmer then strained that out until I got 2.5 gallons of water mix. I did this to get as much of the flavor and essence out of the pulp, I thin fed the pulp to the chickens. The pre wine water mix you have looks pretty bad right now, like pea soup. Add campden (3ish tablets) allow to set 24-48 hours, add yeast and any other ingredients like nutrient, pectin etc... that you want I only added yeast. Allow to ferment, when finished fermenting you will need to rack several times to clear, it should clear to a nice shade of yellow. All recipes I saw said this wine is really helped by at least 6 month aging after bottling.

Well, a few weeks ago we had a big killing freeze coming, so I went out and picked all the mint that was easy to pic (long stemy stuff) I got 2 wally world sacs full. I pureed them w/ water in the blender and set the juice in the fridge for a few weeks to meld, seep, infuse whatever you want to call it. Today I have 2.5 gallons of prewine (mint) and a cookie sheet full of mint "cookies" for the rabbits.

I've used old jam to make wine. Turned out the same as if I just used fruit and sugar without the extra canning process step. If you want to try something delicious though, try making drunken jam. It goes great on everything, especially as a poultry glaze.

Back
Top Bottom