How many wine makers do we have here?

WOW a wine thread! I have only made wine a few times, hobo wine I guess they call it using frozen concentrated grape juice. I mostly brew beer, and hard cider. I press my own apples, wild apples. I pasteurize it because I shake the trees and pick the apples up off the ground to make it easier, might have bacteria on them. After I cools down I use Lalvin Champagne yeast. After it slows down fermentation I transfer it from my bucket fermenter to a glass carboy and add five pounds of brewers corn sugar. Then I leave it alone for awhile, month or so. When I'm sure it has stopped working I transfer it into my beer priming bucket and add a half cup of corn sugar and bottle in champagne bottles with plastic stoppers and wire hoods. I wait at least six months before drinking, and have kept some up to five years. It turns out pretty clear and as bubbly as champagne. Not sure of the ABV but it kicks butt! I didn't make any this year though.
sad.png

I haven't tried beer, I'd have to find a gluten free recipe, I'm sure not hard to do. I had a rocky start on wine making, but now have several good batches under my belt. I am really enjoying it. Might just look into beer, but it seems more "involved" then my simplified wine making.

Most home brew suppliers do sell gluten free ingredient kits using Sorghum instead of barley malt. Yes it is more involved than wine. Using liquid malt extract makes it a little easier than mashing.
Your green tomato wine sounds like something I'll have to try this summer. Have you ever tried pickled green tomatos sliced thin and pickled in bread and butter mix? I don't like sweet pickles but I love them on a ham and cheese sandwich. Crispy too.

Most home brew suppliers do sell gluten free ingredient kits using Sorghum instead of barley malt. Yes it is more involved than wine. Using liquid malt extract makes it a little easier than mashing.
Your green tomato wine sounds like something I'll have to try this summer. Have you ever tried pickled green tomatos sliced thin and pickled in bread and butter mix? I don't like sweet pickles but I love them on a ham and cheese sandwich. Crispy too.

My Gma, (who raised me) is from Maine, and she always made baked beans and pickle lily. It was pickles sliced green tomatos, I am not much of a pickle fan and really didn't like pickle lily. I will definitely be making green tomato wine every year. May try cucumber wine too.

Mint wine is all bottled, 9 quarts. I need to get quicker about bottling it, b/c "quality control" sure does put a dent in my finished product!!!! lol

My second batch of green tomato is fermenting now. I just found some frozen raspberries and cherries from a while back, I am going to make them into a berry/cherry wine.

My brother wants me to make him mango wine, so if he ever brings the prepared mangos (I won't touch them, I am allergic) I'll be starting a batch of that soon too.

Back
Top Bottom