How much liquid calcium supplement to fix soft shell issue?

lynnehd, she's doing better on a health note, thanks for asking. But she's not laying normally. I've slowly backed her off the calcium glutomate and she's now on none, but she lays only about every 5 days or so and always a shell-less egg. Since she was a retired organic layer (red sex link) we have no idea how old she really is, and I'm chalking it up to age. Unless she magically recovers, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't treated her for the shell-less laying... wondering if maybe I should do epsom salt baths... the risk of infection is, I'm sure, high. So far she's active, eating and drinking normally, no other symptoms at all.

I've had to pay close attention to providing calcium rich greens w/o too many oxalates which bind calcium.
If a green or weed has a LOT of calcium, then the fact that they are also high in oxalates isn't as much of a worry.
I read recently that eating (humans) greens with something high in vitamin C (strawberries, citrus, tomatoes) helps the body absorb the calcium that is not available with the oxalates are too high. Now, if I give spinach, I always make sure it's with either strawberry tops or tomatoes...

I read recently that eating (humans) greens with something high in vitamin C (strawberries, citrus, tomatoes) helps the body absorb the calcium that is not available with the oxalates are too high. Now, if I give spinach, I always make sure it's with either strawberry tops or tomatoes...

Good point!

@MichelleT , have you seen this other, similar thread? Especially post #15 where they mention an older hen.

Might be worth a try!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742850/freqent-shell-less-eggs/10#post_16983027

Thanks for the thread! I am going to try it - I'm okay with her getting older and not laying anymore... she's just such a joy to have around the place! But I sure would love an egg I can eat every now and again. Plus, I'm not convinced that laying like she does is good for her. Stopping by Target on the way home today!

Thanks for the thread! I am going to try it - I'm okay with her getting older and not laying anymore... she's just such a joy to have around the place! But I sure would love an egg I can eat every now and again. Plus, I'm not convinced that laying like she does is good for her. Stopping by Target on the way home today!
Just broke mine in half, then in about 8 more pieces with a pill splitter, so that's 8 raisins for her, lol.
But, she is petite, and if the raisins + pill pieces are too big, she tries to break them up to eat them, and out comes the pill fragment.

So far, so good, but if this doesn't work, I'll try grinding it up finer and mixing it with a tbsp of canned sardine, for example.

I could only find capsules, so I split that up as best I could and mixed it into some cottage cheese. I like the idea of sardines!
I think you could do it with the capsules; about 1/2 of the powder. Any food will work, just don't use a large amount so you are sure they will eat it all.
I separate the chicken who is getting the calcium.
I think another good idea is to give it in the evening, because the shell formation stage seems to occur overnight, from what I have read (but I can't remember where I read it, lol)

I think I got mine on Amazon, the pic is a few posts back in this thread.

Last edited:
UPDATE: She's laying less and less now. We had a couple of days in a row with thin (but broken) shells, laid from the roost - but now nothing for almost a week. She gets in the nesting box with the others - even on her own - and ACTS like she's getting ready to lay but never does. Other than this, she's still active and keeping us on our toes, eating and drinking and pooping fine. I'm continuing with the calcium pills for a little while longer - but it doesn't seem to be doing much good.

UPDATE: She's laying less and less now. We had a couple of days in a row with thin (but broken) shells, laid from the roost - but now nothing for almost a week. She gets in the nesting box with the others - even on her own - and ACTS like she's getting ready to lay but never does. Other than this, she's still active and keeping us on our toes, eating and drinking and pooping fine. I'm continuing with the calcium pills for a little while longer - but it doesn't seem to be doing much good.
Hopefully that's good news, and that she's just stopping due to age. It sure doesn't sound as if she is in distress at this point. Maybe the calcium helped through 'chickenpause'!

I have had soft egg issues too but only with my Australope girls. I feed organic layer crumble, the have oyster shell readily available and I feed back egg shell - even with all this the Australopes have issues. After consulting with my vet I also supplemented with Tums, as they are hi in calcium, still getting soft shell or very thin shelled. I am now going to attempt oral supplementation of injectable Calcium Gluconate. 1st dose 100mg/kg IM injection then orally at 25mg/kg daily. Not sure how readily available Ca. Gluconate is as I can get it through my vet. Might be worth a shot to talk to your vet for advice and a prescription. Fingers crossed this help.

Did you ever resolve your soft egg shell issue? I have Australorpes and am having the same issue with some of them. The layer feed is 3 to 4% calcium carbonate. They also have oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom