How much liquid calcium supplement to fix soft shell issue?

I am having similar situation. No eggs, only soft shelled eggs with 10 laying hens @ 30 weeks and up. Now a broken pelvis.

I found out that they were eating the grower feed instead of layer feed. They don't like the layer feed or oyster shells. I provide a choice.
I watched my hens attack the grower feed that is there for the younger pullets and totally ignore the layer pellets. It looks like I am going to have to keep them separated until the pullets are 16 weeks.
I was told to add tums to their feed. I am going to have to find a layer feed they like.

I am having similar situation. No eggs, only soft shelled eggs with 10 laying hens @ 30 weeks and up. Now a broken pelvis.

I found out that they were eating the grower feed instead of layer feed. They don't like the layer feed or oyster shells. I provide a choice.
I watched my hens attack the grower feed that is there for the younger pullets and totally ignore the layer pellets. It looks like I am going to have to keep them separated until the pullets are 16 weeks.
I was told to add tums to their feed. I am going to have to find a layer feed they like.

I think I may have solved my soft shelled egg problem or at least reduced it. I feed fermented feed and have started mixing the crushed oyster shells into their feed and they eat them. I don't think they have been eating very much of the straight oyster shells from the feeder. The tag on the layer feed that I'm using says that it contains 3 to 4% calcium, which is obviously not enough. Oyster shells are probably the cheapest solution to your problem. Maybe you can feed the grower feed wet and they won't notice the oyster shells are in there and eat them?.

I am not familiar with the fermenting process or why we do it. I am willing to try it.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a lot of information on fermenting your feed. There is supposed to be many benefits, absorbing more nutrients out of the food, less poop odor, etc. If you don't find the information you need, let me know and I will try to explain what to do.

I just started feeding fermented feed this week. They do love it! I'm hoping for lots of benefits - as everyone has attested. I just HATE the smell... I'm keeping it outside in the feed bin right now, but it's getting colder (finally!) and I'm not sure where I'm going to move it when that happens.

I just started feeding fermented feed this week. They do love it! I'm hoping for lots of benefits - as everyone has attested. I just HATE the smell... I'm keeping it outside in the feed bin right now, but it's getting colder (finally!) and I'm not sure where I'm going to move it when that happens.
If you leave a little bit of fermented feed in the container and use warm water when you start a new batch it will help. I keep mine in the garage that is attached to the house. The temperature stays above freezing, but still get pretty cold.

If you leave a little bit of fermented feed in the container and use warm water when you start a new batch it will help. I keep mine in the garage that is attached to the house. The temperature stays above freezing, but still get pretty cold.
I do leave some in the bottom of the container but I don't use warm water (just room-temperature). Does that help the smell? or just the non-freezing?
tongue.png
I'm thinking about a cabinet in the basement maybe for when I have to move it in. We have a small house so when we enter you can definitely smell it!

I do leave some in the bottom of the container but I don't use warm water (just room-temperature). Does that help the smell? or just the non-freezing?
tongue.png
I'm thinking about a cabinet in the basement maybe for when I have to move it in. We have a small house so when we enter you can definitely smell it!
I figure using warm water lets it stay warm a little longer and helps the fermenting process. I keep mine in plastic 6 quart ice cream buckets with the lids snapped on. Don't have any holes in the lid, but there is still a little odor.

I figure using warm water lets it stay warm a little longer and helps the fermenting process. I keep mine in plastic 6 quart ice cream buckets with the lids snapped on. Don't have any holes in the lid, but there is still a little odor.
Lid on, huh? I thought it needed the air to truly ferment... if not, I'm all over the lid thing!

Lid on, huh? I thought it needed the air to truly ferment... if not, I'm all over the lid thing!
The lids on the plastic ice cream buckets don't fit all that tight. I figure if were to build up pressure, it could still vent. No, it doesn't need air.

Back
Top Bottom