How much would you pay for a dog?

You asked, so this is JMHO--

There are a lot of dogs who are homeless, in shelters, in pounds.

I can tell you that a dog is a dog when it comes to having a relationship with one.

I have 8 rescued dogs (and 20 rescued cats, but who is counting). I would not trade any one of them for a specially bred animal. I wouldn't accept a specially bred animal as a gift. You'd be amazed at just how much fun a "real" dog can be, how much smarter, how much healthier.

So, how much would I pay? Whatever the cost of food and veterinary care comes to, that's what I pay, and gladly.

JMHO

Quote:
Unless his records are computerized and searchable, how can he tell which number of the thousands assigned to him by the county belongs to a particular dog? His staff would have to manually look at each file to see if the number they have been given matches which of their clients' numbers. If his practice is any size at all, that could be a HUGE job. Writing the number on the file only works when he already knows who the client is and only needs to verify that the number belongs to that client's dog. But when he only has the number....?!? Like I said, it only works IF his records are computerized and searchable. But most vets are still using paper files. I know mine is!

Now that microchip is a whole different ball of wax entirely. THAT system was designed to find the name that matches the number, so that is a WAY better form of identification.

JMO

Rusty

Our vet is quite 'James Herriot' like in terms of modernity, he works out of his home and has no other staff. I don't believe he even owns a computer, much less uses it. He manages to keep track of rabies tag numbers and owners quite simply; he keeps a separate file of rabies certificates in number order, so that he has the information to hand for animal control. It ensures that suspect animals are wearing the correct tag and have indeed been vaccinated.

Your vet sounds like our vet. No computers. Her DH and her DD are her vet techs. Plus, Jax is one of just two (full-blooded) GSDs that are patients of hers. I can reach her anytime, day or night, by calling her home if she is not at the clinic. Very good vet, very reasonable on her prices too.

Just to put my 2 cents in, I would never pay anything for a dog besides an adoption fee. Adopting a needy animal is one of the best things you can do! I actually didn't pay anything for my dog that I have now. He was a rescue. But I did pay enough in vet bills.....if that counts.

I just saw the post about rabies tags --

Rabies tags ARE traceable. That's why they have individual numbers on them. I have traced dogs through their rabies tags several times over the years. BUT they are not nearly as good for traceability as microchips.
smile.png

As for the golden doodle -- many people have said it already, but I'll say it again: a golden doodle is a mutt. If you want a mutt, get one from a shelter. There are way too many dogs dying in shelters already, and there's no need to be breeding more of them OR to be supporting people who breed them!

I would look into getting an ex-breeder if you really want a purebred. Some breeders are put down when past their usefullness - - - you could take it off the owners hands for a smaller fee than a pup. I know this because Dusky was a ex-breeder. She was loved to bits in her previous home but, after having a cesarian after a litter of nine kittens, she had to be spayed. We wanted a nice, quiet, mature and pretty burmese, as we had just lost Leila, our previous burmese girl.
So we asked around and found her. So we brought an excellent example of a burmese, with incredible breeding, around 4 years old all for the price of the spaying fee - - - - $70. Two years on, and though Dusky is a little rotund, she is an adamant lapcat, good with other animals and adores attention from my young, boisterous brother. I know that Dusky is a cat, but some rules may apply to both species, right??
ETA - - - You can usually buy burmese kittens for $400, with potential breeding queens up to $1000 when entire. Just a comparison.

Last edited:
To answer your question...any amount I could come up with.

Let me explain: I have (or have had) a total of 14 dogs since I was 16. I am now 40 and 5 of those dogs are still with me. I am a member of Heart Strings Rehoming Program and love to find homes for dogs. I personally have never paid more than $25 for a pup initially.

There have been 3 dogs in my life that I would sell everything not tied down, to enter my life again. The first one was Apache an Austrailian Shepherd. He was my boyfriend. So loyal. He would watch me and those eyes of his. He would have done anything for me. I paid $25 for him at a horse auction when I was sixteen. The second priceless dog was Parker. Parker's mother was a german shepherd that was dumped along side the road with 8 puppies. She managed to drag them all to our place and hid them up under one of our outbuildings. I came home from work one day and my 5 yr old came running through the yard with this white puppy to show me what he had found. The other 7 were black and tan but the white one spoke to me. He came to work with me at the senior center and was with me 24/7. He had epilepsy. He owned our hearts for 2 1/2 years before seizures took him. The third one was Kirbie. Kirbie came from a puppy mill. He was unadoptable because he had a dermoid (a patch of hair growing out of his eyeball). I had never even seen him but knew I had to him. He was "free". The surgery that was to cost around $50 ended up close to $1000 by the time it was finished. He had a heat stroke and had to have a plasma transfusion that was $1200 and we lost him anyway. He was the most expensive "free" dog we have ever owned and he only touched our hearts for 7 months. Because of Kirbie, I hope to always own a Shih-tzu. What a one of a kind dog. Ask all of the seniors at the center. I would take him to work and as soon as the first senior would take off their coat, they would come into my office and snatch my dog and I wouldn't get him back until closing time. Kirbie was passed around all day and would just soak up the love and give it back tenfold.

Presently we allow 5 dogs to own us. About 3 too many, honestly. That is just the way it is.

Shadow - an old rottie who is a rattletrap bless her. She is so feeble now. Sometimes she needs help getting up and down but she is happy and not in pain. She belonged to an employee who could no longer keep her. She was a well trained adult dog when we offered to give her a home. She has loved us for 7 years and is 11 yrs old.

Ragamuffin - is a terrier mix that we rescued...he had been abused and beaten and was petrified of our hands. We have had him now 4 years. He is a lover and is around 5.

Bailey - a shih-tzu who was given to me when dear sweet Kirbie passed. Oh, when he looks at you with those eyes...goner! He is not quite 2.

Taylor - is a husky 1 yr. My sons love that stupid dog. His owners could no longer afford to keep him. No more than they had him fixed...they both lost their jobs.

Ok...that was our plan. 2 small dogs and a big romper dog for my 2 teenage boys aswe just knew Shadow wouldn't be with us much longer. But don't tell Shadow. Herfeeble body still gets around without much assistance but if she doesn't make it to bed when we do...she now cries like she cannot find us. Dave gets up, tells her it is ok, helps he find her way to our bedroom, our hearts break a little, and we go back to bed.

Now I know I have rambled, but I have yet to tell you about Gracie. Heart Strings rescued a Boston Terrier pup. I don't even like bug eyed dogs. Who needs more than one terrier anyway? Our Heart Strings director posted this very young Boston puppy for expert dog owners only. You see, Gracie has an extreme heart murmur. She spoke to me through the computer screen. Just one look at that picture and my heart sang. Poor husband is MAD. No more dogs! I pleaded...I had to save this dog. I went and picked her up an hour later and she is on my lap right now!

We have more dogs than we are truly comfortable with, but our hearts are full.

My advice...let your heart choose and you won't go wrong as there is no such thing as a free dog. Secondly, unless you can be with your new dog constantly, consider getting two dogs...you will not regret it.

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't accept a specially bred animal as a gift. You'd be amazed at just how much fun a "real" dog can be, how much smarter, how much healthier.

I can see your point if all you want is a companion. But some of us--heck, LOTS of us want more than that. For example, I enjoy competing in schutzhund and you cannot do that with a dog from the pound. Some folks like straight obedience work and others enjoy showing in breed, while others use their dogs to work cattle or sheep--for just a few examples. All of these can be pretty expensive pursuits and warrant a dog whose background at least gives you a chance at success. Plus I have seen plenty of rescues who were dumped in the first place because they needed expensive surgery or developed cataracts or a host of other problems, so I don't think it's fair to make such blanket statements.

But again, this is JMO.

Our vet is quite 'James Herriot' like in terms of modernity, he works out of his home and has no other staff. I don't believe he even owns a computer, much less uses it. He manages to keep track of rabies tag numbers and owners quite simply; he keeps a separate file of rabies certificates in number order, so that he has the information to hand for animal control. It ensures that suspect animals are wearing the correct tag and have indeed been vaccinated.

Do you have ANY idea how lucky you are?!? Most of us are stuck with vets who are just in it for the money like a lot of "modern" MDs are. I'm sure many of us have had experiences where if you didn't have the cash, it didn't matter how sick or hurt the poor animal was. I know I sure have! Which is why I posted what I did. Microchips are still a way more dependable way to recover a lost pet. And again, that's JMO based on my own experiences with vets.

Some breeders are put down when past their usefulness.

These folks aren't breeders--they're puppy mills! And you can quote me on that! Anybody who would put down an animal for that reason likely didn't take care of it in the first place. Every dog and cat in this world DESERVES to be loved and you don't dump a loved one just cause they aren't making you money anymore!
somad.gif

Now I'll get down off my soapbox and try to leave this thread alone because it is only making me angry!!!

big_smile.png

Rusty​

Last edited:
A golden/doodle is no different then any dog.......... they are a dime a dozen at the animal shelters and rescues.
go find the dog you want and save it from the situation it is in. I have 4 dogs and all are rescues. and the average
person would think 2 are show dogs. NOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they are back yard dogs you can find all day long.
Its not that i would not pay for a dog. BUt, I would not normally give a breeder money. But, I am also, not most people.
But, I would give a rescue money. Now that said........ if your looking for something very specific you could pay
up to a couple grand for a dog. It would depend on what your looking for. A good livestock dog with that in their back
ground I would expect to pay up to 500 for it but no more. (you can probably find for 100 bucks) A schutzhund dog depending
on level of training could pay up to 15 K. If your just talking a household dog.......... 10-300 depending on where you
get it and what kind of vetting the animal has had. If you go with a rescue dog or shelter dog they have normally been or will be
spayed/nuetered, all shots and so on........... and a good service.
Good luck

the lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens
45854_pupschks.jpg

these pups I fostered along with their mom. As you can see I wanted them to be around as much as possible before
they could even go outside.
These German Shepherd puppies saw chickens outside their window when they were 4.5 weeks old.

Last edited:
Quote:
They aren't as traceable as you would think. I would say when I was working at the stray impound facility for a major city we got 2 types of rabies tags on dogs. #1 was a generic tag with a number that matched a rabies certificate. These were not even remotely traceable. #2 had clinic info on it. These were more traceable, but 50% of the time the clinic could say "yes, we we're assigned that tag" but we have no way of searching for that client. Some were able to figure out who it might be, but they aren't as good as people think. Also the clinic that did the shot must have current owner info. Shockingly, county licenses in some places weren't very traceable either.

Microchips are 100% if people keep their contact information current with the registry. We had a huge issue with pet store puppies being sold with microchips, owners never registered them, and the pet store didn't keep records. So we could trace them back to the store (or vet in some cases), but couldn't get an owner. ALL of my animals are microchipped, even my indoor cats. This is also the BEST way to prove ownership. We had one person get her cat back after it had been missing 6 YEARS!

ID tags are great, too. As long as they have them on, are current and the dog isn't stolen.

Nothing is more frustrating, as a shelter employee and the person who euthanizes these animals (or used to), than having an animal come in with partial ID. In some cases we could even get owners names, but no current contact info. So we know "Fluffy" belongs to a "John Smith" but we can't find this person. We'd send letters to last known addresses, hoping it would get forwarded, but too many of them were dead ends. Sorry, this is something I care a lot about. Animals shouldn't die because improper ID.

Back
Top Bottom