How to care for baby turkeys?

My tractor supply wont order turkey starter or larger bags of gamebird feed in. I tried the 3 in my area. Local feed stores also i cant get them to order in. only 1 in nashville will but for coyote creek only. now they will order but turkey starter is 50 a bag. Really pricey.. I get my organic layer and starter from them but its half the cost and still coyote creek brand..I find mom and pop feed stores to me more accommodating but its pricey LOL

My tractor supply wont order turkey starter or larger bags of gamebird feed in. I tried the 3 in my area. Local feed stores also i cant get them to order in. only 1 in nashville will but for coyote creek only. now they will order but turkey starter is 50 a bag. Really pricey.. I get my organic layer and starter from them but its half the cost and still coyote creek brand..I find mom and pop feed stores to me more accommodating but its pricey LOL
Ask them to order the 50 pound bag or Purina Gamebird Starter.

-Kathy

Turkey starter, gamebird starter is more because of the higher protein levels I think. I pay 18.99 for the 50 lb Dumor brand at TSC here in Cynthiana, KY. Southern States also sells some, but only the medicated type, which I don't like for about the same price. There are other stores in the area that carry the Purina Show Turkey starter. Not sure on the pricing. But most turkey food will come in 50 lb bags. Trust me, you will need that size for that many babies. Once they get going the will eat like hogs. Mine do.

Sometimes you can find things online that might be closer to you than you think. Also I know some people around here that go in together and buy in bulk their chicken/turkey feed and save money that way. Maybe if you could find a local turkey breeder nearby they would have some suggestions since they have to get their feed someplace.

I would not add cat food. I don't think that is a good idea. We used the gamebird starter on ours last year for the first 6 months, added cracked corn at 4 months and they all survived and thrived. The ones we butchered were like butter. Very tasty.

Jenn - saw your post and you mentioned that you fed your turkeys starter for 6 months then finished with some corn for 4 months; What breed of turkey did you raise. How big were they when butchered?

Thanks

The Hardemans

I really appreciate all the info i get from you guys! Ive only Just joined but ive been watching your posts for months. I have my BRs (2 months old, 2 toms one hen) feeding on chick starter. Its Arrow brand 26% protien and everyone seems very satisfied, But idk what i should do for turkeys at 6 months?? Game bird feed is my olny guess and i understand that as much grass as i can get them to take will affect taste. Im looking to process my first one of them, come this Thanksgiving for, Turduckin :D theres a place down the st that i can go for processing but i intend to try "my" hand (or more likely that DHB's?) the pair i intend to keep. I look forward to keeping large tame birds, and im glad that yall talked me into it because theyre the sweetest birds i have, silkie hens included!

I am an avid reader and i try to research as much as i can so that i can offer my critters the best life possible. Thanks for your time!

I'm also new to turkeys this year. I have raised chickens and ducks for a few years now. I have 6 BR and 1 RP mix. They are so friendly and curious. I am really enjoying them. I have them on chick starter and they seem to do well on it. I have one that is about 2 months and he free ranges with my chickens and ducks now and seems to do well. He follows me everywhere when I'm outside.
263a.png
My others are a few weeks younger so they are still in a brooder. I let them out when I can supervise.

I feed my poults 27 to 30 percent gamebird starter. Poults need higher ptotein than chicks.

If you left the poults in with momma hen she will teach them to eat and drink.

Yes I would say you will be fine to move then hen and her babies. She won't abandon them in fact most of the broody hens I had would adopt chicks and poults from other hens.

Most turkey hens are good mothers.
Glad to hear someone say that they are good mothers. I am new raising turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom