how to tame a rooster

I am not trying to harass anyone, I am sorry if it seems I am.

I agree one should try reasonable measures to get a decent rooster. I simply think culling one that is going to take a long time to change or you can never trust is the safest and best for all involved.
I would not want to encourage someone to try and tame a rooster and find that rooster hurt a child.

Sometimes I think it is better to be brutally honest, like telling a person "you are too drunk to drive", than saying if you go slow and easy you will make it home.

A rooster that will attack an adult is like a drunk driver, it may be fine but there is a pretty good chance it will not be fine.

Culling has to be a option (IMHO) with any unruly dangerous animal.

I am not trying to harass anyone, I am sorry if it seems I am.

I agree one should try reasonable measures to get a  decent rooster.  I simply think culling one that is going to take a long time to change or you can never trust is the safest and best for all involved.
I would not want to encourage someone to try and tame a rooster  and find that rooster hurt a child.

Sometimes I think it is better to be brutally honest, like telling a person "you are too drunk to drive", than saying if you go slow and easy you will make it home.

A rooster that will attack an adult is like a drunk driver, it may be fine but there is a pretty good chance it will not be fine.

Culling has to be a option (IMHO) with any unruly dangerous animal.

Your point has been made numerous times and adds nothing to intent of this thread. Some of use that are successful with an alternative approach need to be heard as well.

If my post was added several times it was not by me. It may have been quoted by others.

I made my point once. Until you stated your opinion of it and I gave a courteous response as to why mine was a valid option too.

I prefer to be belittled in PM,s in the future.

If my post was added several times it was not by me. It may have been quoted by others.

I made my point once.  Until you stated your opinion of it and I gave a courteous response as to why mine was a valid option too.

I prefer to be belittled in PM,s in the future.

It is better you invest your efforts in threads where OP prefers or considers only culling option. You can find many. When you and other do as you do here with the cull only approach it is like a student that heckles / disrupts class because they do like the subject matter being covered.

Many roosters at least transiently explore aggression as a method to get you to do something such as get out of his way or drop feed.

I got distracted a moment ago with dog that came in with possible snake bite.

Back on track. Always try to be aware of what birds are doing around you so not to be surprised an attack. Keep your self calm so if it does happen you do not react. You want that bird to think you do not respond to his attacks. Always move deliberately among birds and avoid pushing them about with your hands. Do not entertain a rooster that tries to play fight with you through wire. Do not kick him or put your foot in his face like I do in earlier video.

Now diaper issues.

Two very good tips, thank you. Today when we were out foraging, everyone was moving into the orchard an my little buddy was bringing up the rear. When he seemed like he was going into his fighting stance, I just stopped and talked to him. He seemed to be able to shake off the fog and realize that we were just heading toward a new food source. And that was that. I even took him aside later and gave him his own food and water. The #1 roo sometimes chases him from the food, so the poor guy wolfs down whatever you put in front of him. I've noticed that when he's full, he's more docile. I would be too, frankly. That's why part of our routine is special dinner time. The food is the same, save some extra seeds & nuts added in, but he doesn't have to worry about being chased.

As for all of the back and forth with different opinions, I'm glad everyone doesn't do things the same way. I've dispatched a couple of unruly fellows myself, however, if we'd had a larger flock and more room, they might not have had to go. (Who knows?) Out of 5, we kept the best tempered fellow and with only one episode of picking on a hen...which earned him a stint in chicken jail and straightened his fluffy butt out, we've not had roo troubles. The little guy in question was re-homed by us because the original folks couldn't have a rooster in their neighborhood without causing trouble with the neighbors. He was originally slated for "freezer camp", as it's been referred to, but he fell in love with me so now he is not going anywhere. I'm after any insights on chicken behavior that might help him to have a more peaceful life. Not everyone has children or random folks interacting with their flock. And frankly, if someone is trying to interact with my flock without invitation, (and the invitation never happens) an aggressive rooster should be the least of their worries. Every rooster can't be tamed...but taming is the tone of this thread. So thanks for the suggestion of a chicken dinner, but I think I'll explore other avenues, lol.

I remember my grandma going into her coop with a axe handle to fight off the agressive roosters so she could get the eggs. She use to tell us kids dont go in there without me or your G-Pa because those roosters wilk hurt you. We use to watch her smack them upside there heads to get them back and we use to ask what if you kill one when you hit it, all she would say was "We will have dinner then wont we"
gig.gif
lau.gif
yesss.gif
Sounds like something my grandmother or grandfather would say. I love it!

Offer him food.

Roosters attack for one of two reasons. They either think you're going to hurt their girls, or they think you're another rooster who's trying to take their girls.

To get them to stop attacking you need to break this delusion.

The one thing a rooster will never do for another rooster is give them food, they'll do it for hens but not roosters, and obviously a predator would never do this.

So next time the rooster gets mad grab some feed from the feeder and offer it to him or have a treat in your pocket ready to offer him. It should snap him right out of his delusion.

Your point has been made numerous times and adds nothing to intent of this thread. Some of use that are successful with an alternative approach need to be heard as well.
The problem with being 'successful' - is that you're not addressing the real problem - aggressive genetics. The bird's offspring are going to be just as nasty, and the training only works when you're there.

I'd rather have a rooster that doesn't attack people than one I've trained to not attack me.

Back
Top Bottom