How to tell a 4yo that you ate their drake...

It is not all the parents problem to explain, but i don't think lying is a good answer.
If she is really attached to this duck then you really should talk to them first, but if she only comes over once in a while then you could probably get away with it.

Good luck with it anyway

Aaaaand... I was joking :p

Joking aside... You adopted a drake from your neighbor, and that person probably thought you would provide a good home, so I think it would be best to be honest and tell them it's not working out and that you have two choices, 1) butcher, 2) return to them. Let them deide, then let them deal with their 4 year old. The thought of having to lie to people really rubs me the wrong way.

-Kathy

Joking aside... You adopted a drake from your neighbor, and that person probably thought you would provide a good home, so I think it would be best to be honest and tell them it's not working out and that you have two choices, 1) butcher, 2) return to them. Let them deide, then let them deal with their 4 year old. The thought of having to lie to people really rubs me the wrong way.

-Kathy
Exactly.

She only comes over like once in a blue moon... I think if I didn't mention it she wouldn't notice. They gave us 3 more female ducks so she can chase them. The situation was kind of the typical kid wants a duck, so mom and dad get her one as a gift... And they lose interest after a few months... And drop them off at hillbilly holler (my house).

I thought that would be the case (about the pet) because you said they're vegan.
But when a drake goes mean there's only one thing you can do with him...dinner :D

If a little 4 year old tried to give me her duck I'd refuse and talk to an adult about it, I don't know if it's legal to transfer propery from a 4 year old, the adult guardian of the 4 year old would be the legal representative of the duck in question.

Then, if the parent of the 4 year old gave me the duck, I would certainly feel no need to tell the 4 year old that I ate her duck, any more than I woud want to tell her that Santa doesn't exist, or the tooth fairy doesn't exist. I would certainly not feel it would be proper for me to school a neighbors 4 year old in the cruel facts of life, or any other facts of life.

I certainly hope that someone would question my mental sanity, or my right to even be around children if I felt a compulsion to tell 4 year olds anything that would hurt their feelings and possibly make them cry, seems it would make me a mean bully if I did such a thing. But that's just me.

If a little 4 year old tried to give me her duck I'd refuse and talk to an adult about it, I don't know if it's legal to transfer propery from a 4 year old, the adult guardian of the 4 year old would be the legal representative of the duck in question.

Then, if the parent of the 4 year old gave me the duck, I would certainly feel no need to tell the 4 year old that I ate her duck, any more than I woud want to tell her that Santa doesn't exist, or the tooth fairy doesn't exist. I would certainly not feel it would be proper for me to school a neighbors 4 year old in the cruel facts of life, or any other facts of life.

I certainly hope that someone would question my mental sanity, or my right to even be around children if I felt a compulsion to tell 4 year olds anything that would hurt their feelings and possibly make them cry, seems it would make me a mean bully if I did such a thing. But that's just me.
but lying is never a good answer
That being said there are things in life you have to learn and also a time to learn them.
Thats a parents responsibility and its hard when you ''get in the way''(no offence TroyerGal)

Last edited:

-Kathy

The original post stated the duck was going to be culled and the OP wanted to know how to tell a 4 yr old, if she came looking, that her duck was dead.

Lying to spare the feelings of a 4 yr old seems perfectly acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom