Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

Wow, really quiet here. Where is everyone? Carousel86, if you are still around, I wanted to ask you about your Welsh Harlequins. Assuming you still have them, would you consider selling me some eggs in the spring? I never did get any last year & would love some. Thanks, will send you a pm.

Hello,
Before I order up some chicks ( egg layers), I was wondering if anyone has some pullets or 1 - 2 yr chickens they would like to get rid of. I am looking for 6 - 8 hens.
Send me a message if you do.
Thanks
Kaj

Hey there everyone! Carousel86 I actually have two ducks right now one male rouen, one female ancona. I got the female as an adult, and I actually had the same issue. It took her forever to lay her first egg with me, but the person who sold her to me said she went broody so it would take her time to start again. Im sure the stress of moving on top of that didn't help. It took her a little over a month to start again, but boy does she lay. I thought her breed wasn't supposed to be a great layer, but she lays huge eggs every day or every other day (depending on her mood
big_smile.png
) It seems to be a common issue with ducks, especially new layers, I've heard a lot of people having trouble. What kind of ducks are they, and how old? I heard ducks were supposed to slow down in the winter just like chicken.

My ducks are welsh harlequin and one Pekin. They were laying every day and then they just stop. They will be a year in April. Thank you for answering my question jyzervas92

You're welcome, lovely breeds you got there! I know mine stopped when it started to get bitter out this is my first winter with them too. But my coop got attacked a few nights ago I lost two chickens and she got a patch of feathers ripped out of her neck and a small cut so I don't think she'll be laying anytime soon. I brought her in the house and let her take a swim in the tub, she's acting like nothing even happened! She's definitely doing good I'm glad I didn't lose her! I like the duck forum on this website to, its very helpful and the people respond pretty quickly.

Also I forgot to mention that if you let them free range they like to make nice secluded nests, just like chickens. I'm sure with all this snow that's not the case, but hey you never know! I've stumbled across some nests that had me scratching my head! Maybe they're hiding them in the coop somewhere? They can be so sneaky sometimes!

Today I had to buy eggs for the first! Both chickens and ducks are not laying. This is the second year with the chickens. All last weather they lay not a lot but enough for my family to eat. Not sure what's going on with them. If anybody has any ideas please let me know what to do. Thank you Diane

Back
Top Bottom