I am ready to send the geese out of here!

Oh no! Trekkieisms applied to poultry! lol!

I agree. No matter what breed or how dear they are the rest of the time- ganders cannot be trusted during breeding season. I'm currently wearing a couple bruises from my sebastopol gander. He has decided that the feed pail is particularly evil hence whenever I feed I am trying to fend him off, otherwise he is more show than action so far... but my girls just started laying.

Don't eat the best,.. it's the hormones. If you don't want to keep them sell the ganders if they are good examples of the breed.

That said,.. I eat my culls. I ate three Buff American ganders that didn't make the cut last year. Delicious! The leftovers make an excellent pot pie.

I remember when I was a kid we had a Ram that would tackle you when you walked through the gate to feed....I took a baseball bat with me....I know, flame away, but I was 12 years old and 70 pounds soaking wet.
I don't know, some of the ganders are more aggressive than others during breeding season, it is to be expected, but to run across an entire field to attack myself or my child is a little over the top.
I went out today and blocked off a group with cattle panels. I am sure they will grow nice feathers and fly over it just to teach me a lesson.

Ya know..my goose must be screwy..
he started to attack me last winter.(man he was nasty!)..NOW hes being a sweetheart!! All snuggly and rubbing his beak on me..making his baby goose calls to me..... I cant figure this guy out..
hu.gif

Last edited:
Mrs. Turbo :

Ummm...he is hitting on you.....
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

LOL..dosent suprise me..i waddle like a goose...
lol.png

My sebbies are hissing, but they are funny when they do it. I'll close everyone up at night and they are always the last ones in the pop door and the instant they are in, they turn around and hiss at me before I can close the door! It's always a game with me to try to get the door shut before they hiss, they usually win!
big_smile.png
We did have the grandkids this weekend, and they would hiss at them but I told the kids to not run from them, and the sebbies aren't aggressive in chasing them so all went well!

Mrs. Turbo :

I remember when I was a kid we had a Ram that would tackle you when you walked through the gate to feed....I took a baseball bat with me....I know, flame away, but I was 12 years old and 70 pounds soaking wet.
I don't know, some of the ganders are more aggressive than others during breeding season, it is to be expected, but to run across an entire field to attack myself or my child is a little over the top.
I went out today and blocked off a group with cattle panels. I am sure they will grow nice feathers and fly over it just to teach me a lesson.

Running across a field to attack is typical for my geese during the breeding season. It is the nature of the gander to be "over the top" when defending his mate. I really wouldn't expect children to be safe with ganders in general, but especially in breeding season.​

Quote:
We have the same thing. They march to their separate houses and once inside, they turn and hiss. LOL Little monsters!!

I only have one that attacks and that's my baby, Prince Peter. I just hoist him up and carry him around for a few minutes, then set him down. He goes running from me with his wings spread telling the whole world that I molested him. LOL

Laurie

My buff american gander is good with me, the only time I've been bitten or flogged with his wings was the last clutch last season- I let them incubate their own and the day they hatched he attacked me. Prior to hatch I could go check the goose and count the eggs without him doing anything, even though the female was throwing a fit. He is being good this season too, he will hiss but that is all...
.....however....
...strangers are another story. He will chase, grab pant legs, and hiss at anyone he doesn't know. He will even grab my husband's pant leg occasionally. At least he isn't trying to 'get sexy' with my husband this year. Last year, my husband was sitting on the ground fixing a sprinkler and this same gander mounted him. I giggled, Matt was indignant, and the gander was overjoyed. This year he has more females and doesn't have time for alternative pursuits (the goose, not my husband).

The sebastopol gander can be out of hand sometimes. I have a bruise larger than a silver dollar on my upper calf from feeding time the other day. I have no idea why the dinner bucket is such a trigger for him.

Back
Top Bottom