I have to talk POLISH!

Nurse, your birdies are
love.gif

I only have 2 polish and they are still just smallish...maybe 7 weeks old and in the ugly stage. I especially like the silver laced.
droolin.gif

Quote:
OK, thanks...I was thinking that you must have gotten your flock to breed the quality you want so there's less culling.

Another question....why bantams and not LF?

Quote:
hide.gif
Honestly? They're all great pet Polish. You mentioned a 5 toed bird earlier, sounds like a Houdan or Houdan cross. And the Gold-Laced looking one in your first post also looks like a cross of some sort. The rest, well, conformationally some of them are quite nice, but color-wise not so much.

nurse_turtle - Whoa! If those Silver Laced are LF, where can I sign up for hatching eggs??
bow.gif
Or, where did you get them from?

Quote:
No need to hide, I'm asking so I'm ready! Pet Polish are fine place to start with me. I'm not interested in showing them, just breeding some nice birds and improving as I do it. There is a market out there for better then hatchery but won't cost as much as the SQ chickens. The breeder I bought them from actually breeds for exotic colors, hence the coloring. She is second generation Polish breeder and doesn't show much anymore.

You know, I've had some real discussions with myself about how I feel about breeding "pet" quality. I've bred Cocker Spaniels for over 30 years and I never took them into the show ring but I gained respect of the professional breeders and I was allowed access to their Champion studs so that I could breed quality dogs. They appreciated my interest, my willingness to listen, read and learn and they liked what I did with my dogs. I have a show breeder and professional handler looking for a girl for me right now. She's been looking for over a year now. I saw one of her pups and fell in love with her and she told me I wouldn't like her because she was happiest in the show ring and not a social dog with people. That's the advantage of working with someone for over 20 years!

I never had a litter that wasn't sold for months prior to whelping, nor did I have a litter that I didn't have to turn someone down because I didn't think they had the concept of the work that comes with raising a Cocker Spaniel.

I'm sharing this because this is how I'd like to breed the Polish, although I'm not sure about getting a hold of the SQ right off (haven't found any around me)...because I'm new and have to start over again, gain some respect, like I did 30 years ago with the cockers.

So Illia to clarify....I do know the 5 toed guy is a cross and only posted him for someone who asked to see him. I won't be keeping him....but are you saying that the first bird with the red leakage you think is a mix too?
idunno.gif

I'm printing all the comments out so I can sort through all the opinions and make some choices.

Anyone else who'd like to throw in some comments? On the silver laced birds I have, will they get better? If I get a silver laced bird would that improve the chicks?

Quote:
OK, thanks...I was thinking that you must have gotten your flock to breed the quality you want so there's less culling.

Another question....why bantams and not LF?

What do you mean why not LF ?

Back
Top Bottom