I need a cheap coop

I built my 8x4 coop for about 10 dollars. It took, a lot of scrounging, at it is ugly, but it is what I could afford. I collected several pallets. I broke a few apart and replaced the boards to make two solid floor pieces. The walls are all made of pallets- I covered with hardware cloth I had from past projects. Right now the rood is made from fencing. If I can't find more free lumber soon I'll have to break down and buy some. The money I did spend was on screws and hardware. I found great deals at the Habitat warehouse.

Craig's List - you can find a real bargin from folks moving from a small to a larger size coop.
wink.png

my son built one of our coops from pallets. He used two together to get an 8 foot length then one in the back for a 4 foot width. He took apart extras pallets and used the wood to fill in the slats of the wall pallets. It looks rustic and very traditional I think. He also used this method to put a floor in. here it is without the roof. It cost us 5.98 for a box of nails.
1737_img_1718.jpg

Nice sugar...I like that, simple too...notice your an ARMY MOM...so am I ...two soliders, daug. and a son...son going to Iraq...3rd tour...nice to meet you.

Us moms, have to be TOUGH....

check and see if there any roofing companies in the area that does the metal roofing...

their supplies come on skids that are made out of 2x4's (our local roofing compaiy did any way) i have unlimited 2x4's free and they are 9 feet long

Quote:
great idea! I got several of these a while back from a local metal roof supplier. The skids were 42 in. wide x 12 feet long! I used them for my pygmy goat pens.

Chickmama, I am just north in Fayetteville, I have enough OSB on hand that I can give you, if you can meet me along I-95. If you can give me a few days I may be able to have you enough 2x4's to build a decent home for your chickens. The feed store here, Southern Gin has poultry netting in a 50' roll for 19.95. I am guessing you need about a 4x6 coop. If you are interested let me know.

TC

Now thats what Im talking about...people helping people...that is the way the world use to be back in my days...Im 50yrs old...and Im telling you I dont like what I see now days, how people treat each other....

Very nice of you to reach out....makes me proud to be a part of this post.
wink.png

pallats are great!!! ALso, check freecycle.com - you can generally pick up good scrap wood there. Also check coop pics on here for ideas. Join freecycle and post everyother day - Looking for scrap wood & fencing for hen house and they will reply if they have it! I love freecycle and it's in every state! Good luck! aim

Back
Top Bottom