Icelandic Chickens

So I traveled to Gilbert to the wonderful home of Nurseshelly... 55 minutes there in rush hour 45 minutes back... 52 mile round trip, picked up the five little Icelandic chicks...2 white, 2 brown and one little light brown chipmunk-Drekki Jr. look alike... got home after dark. Before turning the light off in the coop, I noticed that Blucey was sitting in a nest box... so I may have another broody Icelandic.

I carefully put all five chicks underneath Ida and she seemed to immediately accept them and clucked to them and seemed to make room underneath her for them.

I'll be worried sick all night. I thought more than once about just putting them in the Laree brooder and keeping them alive, but I decided that Ida needs to become my Lukka if at all possible and I need to have faith.

So pray along with me and stay tuned.

Praying Mahroni.And I have decided to have both and build more pens.Oh boy that's gonna be fun
roll.png
.But anyways I'm gonna try to get them some Pheasants and some Muscovies this Spring.

Just went out to check on Ida. It's been 3.5 hours. She was still setting on the chicks, chicks were quiet or asleep I assume and Ida was upset I was opening up the nest box from the back!

Tomorrow morning, I'll move Ida and the chicks into a pet carrier and put them along with some water and ground up chick feed into a grow out pen where I once had the Ameraucanas.

If that all works, pics to follow.

I've got a CRAZY weekend. I teach a class tomorrow night.
Friday in the AM I plan a baptism for Saturday AM
Friday at 1PM I fly to San Diego for a business proposition and fly back at 9:30PM
Saturday morning is the baptism... I'll miss a funeral, but there's nothing I can do about that
Saturday evening is our Church Christmas party... the kids are all dressing as kids from Whoville and the Grinch and Santa will be present.
Sunday it's church practically ALL day and then Christmas choir practice at night.

I'll almost be happy for it to be over and back to work again on Monday!.

Just went out to check on Ida. It's been 3.5 hours. She was still setting on the chicks, chicks were quiet or asleep I assume and Ida was upset I was opening up the nest box from the back!

Tomorrow morning, I'll move Ida and the chicks into a pet carrier and put them along with some water and ground up chick feed into a grow out pen where I once had the Ameraucanas.

If that all works, pics to follow.

I've got a CRAZY weekend. I teach a class tomorrow night.
Friday in the AM I plan a baptism for Saturday AM
Friday at 1PM I fly to San Diego for a business proposition and fly back at 9:30PM
Saturday morning is the baptism... I'll miss a funeral, but there's nothing I can do about that
Saturday evening is our Church Christmas party... the kids are all dressing as kids from Whoville and the Grinch and Santa will be present.
Sunday it's church practically ALL day and then Christmas choir practice at night.

I'll almost be happy for it to be over and back to work again on Monday!.
Wow that is a busy weekend! Hope Ida likes the move with chicks tomorrow because it sounds like she really wants to be a momma!

Twister, love that egg! Thank you for putting up the picture. Now I'm wondering again if my oldest Icelandic pullet hasn't started to lay, lol.

Mahonri, I'm glad Ida and the chicks are doing well so far. That warms my heart to hear that they were sleeping all snuggly under their new mom like that.

Congratulations!
x2
So I traveled to Gilbert to the wonderful home of Nurseshelly... 55 minutes there in rush hour 45 minutes back... 52 mile round trip, picked up the five little Icelandic chicks...2 white, 2 brown and one little light brown chipmunk-Drekki Jr. look alike... got home after dark. Before turning the light off in the coop, I noticed that Blucey was sitting in a nest box... so I may have another broody Icelandic.

I carefully put all five chicks underneath Ida and she seemed to immediately accept them and clucked to them and seemed to make room underneath her for them.

I'll be worried sick all night. I thought more than once about just putting them in the Laree brooder and keeping them alive, but I decided that Ida needs to become my Lukka if at all possible and I need to have faith.

So pray along with me and stay tuned.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom