Ideas for repurposing pallets

I used pallets to build my first couple of pigpens. You have to brace them well (very well) at the top and bottom and I put them together with star head screws.

Today I built the pallet spice planter my wife wanted.

These are all great ideas! We have been talking about compost piles lately. Didn't even think about using the pallets for them. :D

Some of these things are made from some pretty amazing wood if you know what to look for. Especially ones from SE asia, often tropical hardwood that you just can't buy. I've made knife handles, paneling, inlay and flooring from pallet stock. The best are the older ones that have had time to get the warping and cracking out of their system.

Find one with dense boards and interesting grain/color and sand a patch, then rub on a bit of boiled linseed oil to see if it has potential before taking the time to carefully disassemble.

I've been able to identify the species of some by origin and process of elimination. I made a bar top for a friend out of Arctic Birch from Finnish pallets his Ponsse timber harvester parts were packed on. Stunning wood. I've found small amounts of Koa, Cocobolo, Purpleheart, Rosewood, Ebony, Acacia and Teak on pallets from the tropics. Some of these are banned from import. Even domestic pallets often have individual boards with birdseye or curly maple. When they make these things, they just run low-grade logs through the headsaw. Sometimes the low-grade logs have surprises inside.

Last edited:
Some of these things are made from some pretty amazing wood if you know what to look for.  Especially ones from SE asia, often tropical hardwood that you just can't buy.  I've made knife handles, paneling, inlay and flooring from pallet stock.  The best are the older ones that have had time to get the warping and cracking out of their system.

Find one with dense boards and interesting grain/color and sand a patch, then rub on a bit of boiled linseed oil to see if it has potential before taking the time to carefully disassemble.

I've been able to identify the species of some by origin and process of elimination.  I made a bar top for a friend out of Arctic Birch from Finnish pallets his Ponsse timber harvester parts were packed on.  Stunning wood.  I've found small amounts of Koa, Cocobolo, Purpleheart, Rosewood, Ebony, Acacia and Teak on pallets from the tropics.  Some of these are banned from import.  Even domestic pallets often have individual boards with birdseye or curly maple.  When they make these things, they just run low-grade logs through the headsaw.  Sometimes the low-grade logs have surprises inside.

Too awesome! Wow! I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled! I'm very impressed!

Saw a wonderful You Tube video about dismantling the pallets using a reciprocating saw. Was really excited about starting to pull apart the few pallets that I have already collected but was informed by Hubby that the power tool I thought we had was one of the ones stolen by the drugheads a few years ago. So I am waiting till next payday and buying another one and hopefully start building a coop and run using recycled pallets.

@MossyCreek - Love the Spice planter! Gives me some wonderful ideas!!

Back
Top Bottom