illegal to buy light bulbs...

Looks as tho I'll be stocking up also, do you know how CRAPPY a fluorescent bulb runs when using a generator??
he.gif

Here's an idea: Once the flourescent replaces our current bulbs, let's all go with hundreds of flourescents (and HAZMAT suits) and smash them in the middle of Congress. I wonder how they would like them THEN?

Whatever happened to people being able to control their own lives? More proof that the decline is irreversible. Just have to prepare and wait for the **** to hit the fan. Or in this case, the mercury filled lightbulbs.
roll.png
I hate Congress.

Quote:
theyre not getting rid of fluorescent lights, theyre getting rid of standard round bulbs... so you AND i am still up poo creek in regards to migraines.

I was being sarcastic. I think most politicians are a bunch of selfish psychopaths interested only in money, power, and attention. There were certain cultures where rulers had to go and see how many pebbles they could grab off the ground at the time they became a ruler; after the period of time determined by the number of pebbles they were executed and a new ruler took over. I think of that as the most effective term limit method ever practiced. No going to work for lobbyists after leaving office.

Quote:
Affordable LEDs are too dim; the brighter ones require too large an initial cash outlay, although they may be cheaper in the long run. I guess we'll have to start buying our light bulbs with time payments.

Except for our bedroom, our house is lit with fluorescents; guess where I spend my time after dark?

Ah well, a new market opportunity for the gangs in the states where they are legalizing drugs; I can see it now, gangsters on the corners selling incandescent light bulbs....

Quote:
Affordable LEDs are too dim; the brighter ones require too large an initial cash outlay, although they may be cheaper in the long run. I guess we'll have to start buying our light bulbs with time payments.

Except for our bedroom, our house is lit with fluorescents; guess where I spend my time after dark?

Ah well, a new market opportunity for the gangs in the states where they are legalizing drugs; I can see it now, gangsters on the corners selling incandescent light bulbs....

Sadly, you hit the nail on the head. Politicians are too clueless to get it, though.
roll.png

I saw this on another site. Haven't confirmed if this is true or not just passing it along.

>>>>This is a picture of a CFL light bulb from A bathroom. When turned on the other day and then smelled smoke after a few minutes. Four inch flames were spewing out of the side of the ballast like a blow torch! I immediately turned off the lights. But I'm sure it would have caused a fire if someone was not right there. Imagine if the kids had left the lights on as usual when they were not in the room.
took the bulb to the Fire Department to report the incident. The Fireman wasn't at all surprised and said that it was not an uncommon occurrence. Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire. He told me that the Fire Marshall had issued reports about the dangers of these bulbs.
Upon doing some Internet research, it seems that bulbs made by "Globe" in China seem to have the lion's share of problems. Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, pot lights, dimmers or in track lighting. Mine was installed in a normal light socket.
bought these at Wal-Mart. I will be removing all the Globe bulbs from my house.>>>

light_bulb.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
th.gif

Thanks for the heads up!
See... Wal Mart is bad no one should shop at Wal-mart. Evil........ and sell way to much cheap Chinese garbage!

------

OK
My two cents:
big_smile.png

I don't disagree that banning incandescent bulbs sounds like a stupid idea. We have plenty of laws and the lawyers that go with them. We surely do not need more. People should make the switch because of environmental and economic reasons.

With that said. We are about 90% converted to CFL at our place.
We save money!
We reduce are carbon footprint.!!
wee.gif

Bulbs rarely burn out, when they do get them recycled dont toss in the trash.. The mercury thing is not a big deal IF you recycle, which we all should be doing anyway. (I hope I never see one actually BURN out though)

ON

Last edited:
Quote:
Lets all send this to our congress people. Yeah, like it would help..... who knows.

I can't stand those CFL bulbs. I have had them break in my hand while installing them and taking them out. It's not hard for that to happen. Sure you are not supposed to grab them by the bulb part, only from the base, but I tend to forget these things as I have changed so many light bulbs over the years that it seems second nature to grab them by the end and start twisting.

my biggest problem with these CFL bulbs is that they are closing down American lightbulb plants and we have to buy these from overseas-more of our American jobs gone again. I am all for the trade market but when we lose more American jobs its not right! I bet these things do catch fire, the KCMO fire inspector told us that those air freshner plugins burn down houses all the time-but we never hear about that on the news. Well several stores have been selling their old bulbs for .20 to .50 a pack on clearance and I have been buying them up like crazy-I have no idea what is going to go in speciality lamps light chandlers, and my pretty bathroom lights (like 3 of those ugly bulbs are going to look good
lau.gif
)
Soap & Eggs-you can buy those reptile heaters at Petsmart, Petco and almost any pet store if you dont have those places-but beware they are 15.00 to 20.00 each but last forever-I use them for my reptiles and my homemade bator and they do work great

Back
Top Bottom