Importing from Canada.

MrChicken207

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Caribou, Maine
Anyone done this? When I get back into chicken raising (hopefully in a couple of years), I'd like to possibly bring in some birds of certain breeds that aren't too common on the South side of the border (Yes White Chantecler is one of them. The most prominent in my mind, actually). Also some breeds that are too far for driving for me if I stayed stateside. I'm pretty sure there are some fiendish Sussex breeders in Maritime Canada, then again I'm also sure there might be some in Southern New England as well, but if I can look to New Brunswick and Quebec, that literally triples the land area that I can get to within a 5 hour drive.

we have to have are flock checked by the pro. vet i think. What breeds are you looking for? I have a few breeds. I am not shure what the cost of the vet coming to check the flock would be. I am shure some people would be willing to help. I am just in NS. I will have B/B/S Australorps, Penedesenca, Black Cochin (US line), and maybe Hungrain Yellow (that's a HUGE maybe)

We have no program like NPIP so...

I'm probably going to get White Chanteclers. Would like some Sussex and Dorkings. Also, maybe, some Cornish and Marans.

NS is a bit far of a drive for me. I'm literally 15 minutes drive from Perth-Andover, NB. My parents are about that far from Edmundston. Quebec City is about as far away from me as Portland, ME. I'm thinking that St. John, NB is a little closer than that. Moncton, probably a little further. I've never driven to that part of NB. Have gone to Fredericton. That's only about 2 hours with the new highway. Was 2 1/2 before, but the drive was prettier. (Same thing with the drive to Quebec. Shorter with the new highway, but prettier on the older roads.

I'm interested in raising Hungarian Yellows. As I understand the only flocks in North America are in Canada. Can eggs be shipped into the US without a big hassle? I would like to begin with this breed next year.

Back
Top Bottom