Incubators Anonymous

For the first time since Alice Ann was lost to a predator last fall, I have a hen who is showing signs of major broody!
I noticed her at night count last night, and she screamed at me when I tried to gather the day's eggs.
Today, her belly is bald and she is straight Broodzilla about being disturbed.
I marked the eggs (quite the hazard!) and am going to leave her to set.

I know it almost too early to even cross my fingers yet, but I am psyched out of my mind about the possibility of a new broody!!!
wee.gif

For the first time since Alice Ann was lost to a predator last fall, I have a hen who is showing signs of major broody!
I noticed her at night count last night, and she screamed at me when I tried to gather the day's eggs.

I know it almost too early to even cross my fingers yet, but I am psyched out of my mind about the possibility of a new broody!!!
wee.gif
good luck with your broodymomma. i've got 1 broody with 8 chicks, another with 1 she hatched and 5 adoptees (oldest adoptee is 5-6 weeks old!) and i swear if i put another hen in there she'd probably try to tuck her underneath too! i caught her brooding the food bowl earlier.
lau.gif

the duelling broodies are no longer broodies, just back to being sisters (no thanks to the raccoon!). their 2 remaining babies are under supermomma (mentioned above). and now i've got 2 more girls that are acting broody. we'll see what they do, whether they deserve eggs and chicks or not.

i incubate everything and only give 'lockdown' eggs to my broodies, if they've proven themselves reliable at sitting.

wee.gif
clap.gif

How is everyones addiction going. All of those that were gonna shut off your bators did they get shut off lol ? I want to shut off my LG and hatch the guineas that are sitting in the post office all weekend (
hit.gif
) then shut off my Brinsea till the end of sep maybe oct . Its too hot and I have been getting horrible rates even wiht a better incubator time to let everything rest and all that stuff. But is is really possibe to turn them off and stop hatching can it really be done
hide.gif

I quit hatching a few months ago... that is why there is over 200 eggs in the bator now..... well less the clear ones..... I tossed quite a few from one batch. I think the heat was working against me on fertility in those pens. At 109 I would not want to do the deed either LOL then there was molting starting..... comedy of errors.

Some of the eggs are not for me and will hit the road soon after hatch. I just set 90, but some I don't think are fertile yet.... it is a test.
big_smile.png
I of course have to hatch everything my SLW lays right now and probably my Lavenders and my Blue Rocks...... but other than that I am not hatching.
lau.gif

well, i'm incubating, but not for myself. except my black/self blue cochins that the raccoon decimated. i'm down to 1 self blue baby from 8.

i've got 2 customers i'm incubating for (tho some of the blrw will be mine, as well as a marans or 3 maybe
big_smile.png
)

Ok, this is not a drill! 'Tilda is setting!
Today she jumped off the nest to dustbathe and drink water and poo (
sickbyc.gif
) and when she did, another hen jumped into her nest to lay. Since she made her leave before she was able to lay, she effectively utilized a babysitter!
I am psyched out of my mind!
Looking for peeps around the 23rd or so!

ya.gif

How is everyones addiction going. All of those that were gonna shut off your bators did they get shut off lol ? I want to shut off my LG and hatch the guineas that are sitting in the post office all weekend :)hit ) then shut off my Brinsea till the end of sep maybe oct . Its too hot and I have been getting horrible rates even wiht a better incubator time to let everything rest and all that stuff. But is is really possibe to turn them off and stop hatching can it really be done :oops:

Doesn't look like mine will be shut off any time soon. I just set 2 dozen cream legbar and some barred rocks. And my delawares should start laying mid September. I aso have an order for 400 sex link pullets so I will be hatching like crazy as soon as the birds mature. I also need to replace a bunch of older birds for eating eggs so I will be hatching some of those too.

Well...I had 1 bator unplugged for about 3 days before another 9 do2en or so eggs arrived needing space. Set a do2en or so a couple days ago & just now set the other almost 8 do2en. Unfortunately, I had to pitch almost 3 do2en Silkies that never developed and most of both batches of my July Mystery Swap eggs along with all but 3 Royal Purple Guineas. Most of them never even started. Apparently I have a humidity issue or something since someone flooded my basement several times during this hatch and the 2 bators closest to the flood were almost entirely duds. The only other thing I can think of is that the week most of these were shipped we had several days over 100F & the rest were all above 90F. So my babies either cooked on the way here or drowned before they could get started. All of this pitching has left me 1 bator entirely empty & the hatcher only 1/2 full. Ama2ingly, my ducks are growing like champs!!! I only have 1 batch that did really poorly (shipped during another really hot week) & another that has issues from being scrambled in shipping (several arrived broken). My Ancona ducks are running 13/16 & a 14th that is questionable going into lockdown. Really hoping these guys do well as they are already sold as soon as they hatch. I have 3 different people wanting the entire hatch for themselves, so no problem getting these babies sold. I do have a surplus of chicks & poults at the moment tho if anyone is in need of any.

Back
Top Bottom