Indian Red Jungle Fowl - from Ideal?

debir1966

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Central Idaho
In my last order from Ideal, I ordered 3 "Rare Breed Special Pullets". The day that they shipped them they gave me a call to let me know a couple of the other chicks I had ordered didnt have good hatches, so while I had the lady on the phone I asked her if I would know which breeds were in the "Rare Breed Special" and she said, sure, she could tell me right now!

She said 1 was a Buff Chantecler, 1 Red Shouldered Yokohama, and 1 Indian Red Jungle Fowl. I hopped on Ideals website and looked up the Buff Chantecler (wasn't too impressed honestly, not a very pretty chicken in the pictures), and then looked for the Indian Red Jungle Fowl.... I couldn't find it! I looked through all the orientals, the long tails, typed it into their search box, nothing.

So I called them back and got a different lady and asked her about the Rare Breed Special an she said there was no way she could tell what was put in it.

We got the chicks today and on the Invoice they hand wrote what was in the Rare Breed Special, and sure enough, it says "Indian Red Jungle Fowl".

Has anyone ever gotten Indian Red Jungle Fowl from Ideal? I wonder why they are not listed on their website.

Last edited:
I got my Red Jungle Fowl from Cackle. Mine are significantly smaller than the other chicks and their colors are more clearly defined than what you show in your picture.

Thanks for replying Ben. Mine definitely does not look like yours does. I have to call them up in 4 days to report any losses anyway, so I will be sure to ask again about it and hopefully will get a better answer than the last time LOL.

I am not too big on a mystery chick, I like to know what breeds I have and especially since most of this batch was for my daughter to use for 4-H, so she will want to know also!

Here is a picture from the backs of the chicks:

You can see the difference between the two brown/red ones towards the bottom. One of them is supposed to be the "Indian Red Jungle Fowl" and the other has to be my "Standard Dark Cornish" roo.

A close-up look at the other brown-marked chick.

We call her Lightning Streak 'cause she is fast! She was supposed to be a standard sized chicken, but she is small, like a banty. She doesn't like to be caught, but once you have her, she is super friendly and will sit quietly on you and let you hold her and pet her.

Here is Streak with a same-age silkie and my daughter who will be showing her in 4H next year.

That's just too cute! What an unusual bird! Is it THE red jungle fowl or a domesticated breed? Your daughter is adorable too! My youngest is already 11 and the time just flies! Luckily, they're still fun (kids that is) when they're young adults even, it's been such a pleasure to be a mom! Enjoy!

That's just too cute! What an unusual bird! Is it THE red jungle fowl or a domesticated breed? Your daughter is adorable too! My youngest is already 11 and the time just flies! Luckily, they're still fun (kids that is) when they're young adults even, it's been such a pleasure to be a mom! Enjoy!
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I must have missed the post. I believe this is the domesticated variety, as Ideal Poultry (where I bought her) calls them "Indian Red" Jungle Fowl.

My kids are fun too. Our oldest is 15 and our daughter is 5. We go out and play with the chickens every day for about an hour while we are doing chores LOL.

Back
Top Bottom