Indoor Pet Chickens

Here is a recent thread with some indoor chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=441783

I got my Serama this winter and they are indoors until spring. I have a spare bedroom set up as my animal room with cages in it. They don't have the run of the house.

It is just much easier for me to care for them in the house instead of outside in the snow/ice and freezing cold in the dark before and after work. I also get to spend more time with them.

Ok, yes, I have a chicken living in my kitchen. What can I say. I had surgery the 2nd of Aug. I came home the next day to find my hen terribly ill. I didn't think she would make it through the night. Then, I didn't think she would make it through the next night. Needless to say she made it through all the nights. She is now blind from what I can tell. Sometimes I wonder. I made a perch for her that is about 1 1/2 inches off the ground. She knows where her food is on the door of a small pet crate which is left open. She rarely goes in the crate.

I have a towel that is laid on the floor and on top of that I use to use puppy pads. Then I moved to adult size pads that are used on beds. They are much longer and a bit wider. They work great and clean up is easy. My hen pretty much stays in place but on occassion she will tour the kitchen so you have to be careful where you step at times. The last think I want to do is step on the chicken or kick her across the room. I think the first thing everyone does when entering the kitchen is look to see if Nellie is on her perch........ LOL. She is great with conversation too. She hasn't laid an egg since she was sick either. She has been sick several times. I don't think this chicken will die because she should have 3 times. I can't put her with the other chickens because they try to kill her.

oh, i forgot to add i also have a couple of pullets living inside because they aren't used to the cold weather. they'll go outside in the spring
wink.png
we let them out of thier cage in the evening and they run around the living room flying onto our heads and stealing food
smile.png

I spend enough time keeping up with the outdoor food, water & poo mess.
I cannot imagine having anything close to that in my house. Yuk
Why would you want the diaper issue? Sounds CRAZY to me.
So what would they peck on in the house? The carpet, Wood floors?
Make sure they dont peck at an Electrical Socket!!!
CRAZY

I don't have them as a full time indoor pet, but I let my silkie Alfred come inside for a couple minutes at a time to "help" me do my homework. I also let Chloe stay in my room for a couple days once because she was injured. And I just like to carry the bigger ones around inside when I'm feeling crazy, but never more that a minute or two.
tongue.png

I once had a White Silkie "Hen" ( until "She" crowed ) indoors for a month. I ordered a diaper for "Her" and he would still be inside, but he figured out how to get out of it so he had to go outside. Last week the weather was aweful cold and I had 10 baby quail, 7 baby chickens and one of my pet chickens all inside my room, not counting my incubator. I hatched 1 chick out of 3 of my own eggs, and she was alone for a few weeks before I hatched out the other chicks from my 1588 Hova-Bator, she got so attached to me. She doesn't really like the other 6 chicks that are smaller than her and Mrs. Fluffy Puffy hates her and won't adopt her like she did the other 6 chicks. She has a great personality and is gonna be a beautiful pullet.

I don't have a problem w/ house chickens.

I have a house chikie.... She's a bantam Cochin Pullet. She is so white and fluffy!!!! Her name is Tutu.
love.gif
She has little plastic tub she sits in and can fly out at anytime, but she stays in her box when we go to bed and leave the house.... But if we are just in a different part of the house she comes looking for us and squawks ALOT!! She gets very mad... We made her a house chicken because her sister was eaten by a hawk....
hit.gif

Quote:
aww.. that is sweet- one of my first house chickens was a white bantam cochin named snowball- she would walk backwards trying to get her diaper off.... when the weather was nice she could be outside in a little pen... miss that girl!

Back
Top Bottom