International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

So just today I picked up 15 Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs, and the breeder and I talked for a while. She told me she feeds her Marans a certain food that darken's the color of the eggshells, but she said she wouldn't give away her secret, and encouraged me to find it on my own. She also hinted it's region-specific, and she's from north-western PA. On my way up I saw a lot of sweet corn and beans, so maybe one of those?
I'm kinda thinking she's full of it, because I've never heard of egg shells changing due to diet, but please correct me if I'm wrong :p
Anyone who might know what it is, don't hesitate to comment. And yes, I am cheating through the power of the Internet. :caf:D

you are right. diet does not affect egg shell colour (unless it can affect genes responsible for the egg shell colour which sounds impossible).

So just today I picked up 15 Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs, and the breeder and I talked for a while. She told me she feeds her Marans a certain food that darken's the color of the eggshells, but she said she wouldn't give away her secret, and encouraged me to find it on my own. She also hinted it's region-specific, and she's from north-western PA. On my way up I saw a lot of sweet corn and beans, so maybe one of those?
I'm kinda thinking she's full of it, because I've never heard of egg shells changing due to diet, but please correct me if I'm wrong :p
Anyone who might know what it is, don't hesitate to comment. And yes, I am cheating through the power of the Internet. :caf:D

Sounds like bull butter to me. The darkness of the eggs Marans lay is determined by genetics through selective breeding. The pigment that makes up the brown color of Marans eggs is derived from hemeglobin in the blood. Hemeglobin is rich in iron which contributes to the color.

In this week's edition of "stupid things you've done"...

Yes I know better so no need to explain. I let a broody sit on a clutch in main pop. I continued to collect eggs to eat as the roomies laid beside the nest. I set them on The counter and didn't communicate. My boyfriends ma sees said eggs and uses some to complete a dozen sold to her friend and puts the others in the fridge. I mention I'm not sure which broody kicked out of the nest and which were fresh because I DIDN'T MARK THE EGGS. Decide we want an egg on our dinner Sammie's. 4 of the 5 are partially developed. Now I need to contact said customer and explain we are pro-choice :th

Yes I know better so no need to explain. I let a broody sit on a clutch in main pop. I continued to collect eggs to eat as the roomies laid beside the nest. I set them on The counter and didn't communicate. My boyfriends ma sees said eggs and uses some to complete a dozen sold to her friend and puts the others in the fridge. I mention I'm not sure which broody kicked out of the nest and which were fresh because I DIDN'T MARK THE EGGS. Decide we want an egg on our dinner Sammie's. 4 of the 5 are partially developed. Now I need to contact said customer and explain we are pro-choice :th

Ive learned long ago that eggs under a broody I dont want hatched are best chucked over the hill. They dont go in my egg basket, they dont go on my counter. Yes I too have learned this disgusting lesson the hard way. LOL

I'm desperately hoping that I never make that mistake lol. I'm pretty good about making a broody's eggs but not always....

Speaking of broodies.... My silver penciled rock should be due to hatch her eggs in a few days. I have her 6 Marans eggs and 1 silkie egg. No idea if they're pure or not but I guess we'll find out. I tried to candle a few days ago and the ones I checked looked like they were developed.

I found a solution for that. my araucana is sitting on minorca eggs. when I find a blue egg I know it is fresh.

I found a solution for that. my araucana is sitting on minorca eggs. when I find a blue egg I know it is fresh.

I only gave her blue and she's in with the CLB and EE (green eggs)... so they are the same blue eggs. I kept saying let's mark the eggs but my man said don't mess with the broody. In his defense she does bite. She's a fierce mama. I did chuck the first few i figured she kicked out in the garbage but was waiting to take out the garbage on the last collection. Stupid mistake. I should have separated her

IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG
Not the best day for pics but here is my 16 week olds now. Chick #1 that was the favored when I first posted them as day olds is finally starting to get a tail. The cockerel doesn't carry his tail so high- he is very vigilant when we come into their space yet perches in my knee like a lap dog. Over colored but as you see the girls are dark. And big. They are all quite large. That 1st girl tho (on the ramp)... what's up with that tail??

Back
Top Bottom