International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Edward is now 8 months old. He is a beautiful and wide bird. No he isnt perfect but he still makes me proud to own him. :)

View attachment 1506859 View attachment 1506864 View attachment 1506858 View attachment 1506856 View attachment 1506865
Looking good, love the type. You'll find the right color combination soon enough, then you'll be producing decently colored birds regularly. Your not that far off, do you have a slightly over melanized roo you can work with?

Looking good, love the type. You'll find the right color combination soon enough, then you'll be producing decently colored birds regularly. Your not that far off, do you have a slightly over melanized roo you can work with?

Thank you! I have some overmelanized pullets I may mate him to. There is one in particular I like really well. They are off the dark Mashburn cockerel I had and Sheraz. Its all about trial and error. Lol

Last edited:
View attachment 1501571 View attachment 1501564 View attachment 1501562 View attachment 1501561 View attachment 1501560 Not the best day for pics but here is my 16 week olds now. Chick #1 that was the favored when I first posted them as day olds is finally starting to get a tail. The cockerel doesn't carry his tail so high- he is very vigilant when we come into their space yet perches in my knee like a lap dog. Over colored but as you see the girls are dark. And big. They are all quite large. That 1st girl tho (on the ramp)... what's up with that tail??

The cockerel has a lot of chest color. Any hens you paired him to would have to be pretty much black (very little to no copper) to keep from producing a lot of mossy or overcolored offspring I would say. Also to offset his high tail the hen(s) would need to have lower tails to produce some offspring with decent tail angles if possible. You would have to single mate them to do this. Is he your only cockerel?

The pullet on the ramp, its hard to tell about her tail. I see a tuft of feathers sticking up on her back. Is that what you mean? Sometime when birds are young and havent filled out and developed their mass their feathers look awkward.

Here is my favorite Mashburn x Sheraz pullet. She isnt completely black, but has very little hackle color. I plan on mating her to Edward next year to darken up the copper and correct or reduce halos. Her eyes are marbled but she is pretty. Guess which trait of Sheraz she inherited? That long back! :D

Screenshot_20180817-111711_Gallery.jpg
20180817_110333.jpg
20180817_110314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom