International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Lots of color on this pullet.

20180817_133107.jpg

The cockerel has a lot of chest color. Any hens you paired him to would have to be pretty much black (very little to no copper) to keep from producing a lot of mossy or overcolored offspring I would say. Also to offset his high tail the hen(s) would need to have lower tails to produce some offspring with decent tail angles if possible. You would have to single mate them to do this. Is he your only cockerel?

The pullet on the ramp, its hard to tell about her tail. I see a tuft of feathers sticking up on her back. Is that what you mean? Sometime when birds are young and havent filled out and developed their mass their feathers look awkward.

Thanks for the feedback! 2 of my pullets are very dark and have hardly a single copper feather and both have nice tail angles so I think this is a good start. The cockerel hardly ever has his tail that high- only when alerted like in this pic. The pullet on the ramp is the same one that was favored by everyone here as a chick for how dark it was - it also took absolutely forever to feather out im and I kept saying I felt it was a boy but I was the only one to think that. It finally is growing a tail at what 16 weeks?!! Mind you someone is trying to crow in there and I'm hoping it's the polish.

Side note- I do have another roo- chester (the blue copper). He's shows chest leakage also and a slight halo. He is the new chicks sire and that chick is very dark black with little white. You'd think it was a BCM but mom is my CLB. :).

Thanks for the feedback! 2 of my pullets are very dark and have hardly a single copper feather and both have nice tail angles so I think this is a good start. The cockerel hardly ever has his tail that high- only when alerted like in this pic. The pullet on the ramp is the same one that was favored by everyone here as a chick for how dark it was - it also took absolutely forever to feather out im and I kept saying I felt it was a boy but I was the only one to think that. It finally is growing a tail at what 16 weeks?!! Mind you someone is trying to crow in there and I'm hoping it's the polish.

Side note- I do have another roo- chester (the blue copper). He's shows chest leakage also and a slight halo. He is the new chicks sire and that chick is very dark black with little white. You'd think it was a BCM but mom is my CLB. :).

Oh ok is that what u meant about her tail? I couldnt tell anything was really wrong with it by the picture on my phone. Im past due for an eye exam. LOL! I think the dark pullets will work out well for u then! Its all about balance. Im learning that more and more first hand every single day. :)

I can't decide which cockerel I want to breed with my marans when they mature and are old enough to breed with the hens. I am only keeping one cockerel so I don't have to deal with roosters fighting because I don't have a lot of hens. Which one do you think I should keep for a breeding purpose? Each one has a special characteristic.;)

#1. His mother carried the really DARK egg-laying gene.
DSC04226.JPG

#2. His mother that I hatched him from had a lot of gold on her.
DSC04951.JPG

#3. His mother has been an awesome egg-layer for months now but I don't know if its genes.:confused:
DSC04987.JPG

Thank you! I have some overmelanized pullets I may mate him to. There is one in particular I like really well. They are off the dark Mashburn cockerel I had and Sheraz. Its all about trial and error. Lol
I think that would be a good move, If he was mine i would definitely run him with some good type, over melanized ladys. That would probably throw some nice chunky good colored cockerels.

I think that would be a good move, If he was mine i would definitely run him with some good type, over melanized ladys. That would probably throw some nice chunky good colored cockerels.

There has been a change of plans. Ive had a rather bad chicken day to put it lightly. I put some older hens in with Edward earlier this morning to free up a pen and he must have had a surge of male hormones or something because when I went down to water some time later I noticed he is now holding his tail way up high and proud like he's the biggest cock on the block. Very high.. too high.. squirrel tail high. Another one bites the dust.

This is a supreme example of why it is so important to grow males out for so long. Just a few days ago Edward looked really good type and tail wise. He is 8 months old. Today his tail looks like a squirrels. I literally could weep. But I have backups.. and a few more young cockerel grow outs to watch so I'll keep my chin up.

Such a shame. :hit

20180817_113752.jpg

Here is one of my back ups.. Naked Neck is what Ive been calling him lately. The name Skint did not stick. He is the one that had the chunk of flesh tore off his hackle by a gamecock.

He has marbled eyes, white underfluff under his hackles, and just the ever so slightest tad of white in each earlobe. Its hard to see but its there. He also has a halo but his type is good. He is around 7 months old. We'll see if his tail stays an acceptable angle. :hmm

High tails are the bane of my existence. :(

20180817_132837.jpg

I can't decide which cockerel I want to breed with my marans when they mature and are old enough to breed with the hens. I am only keeping one cockerel so I don't have to deal with roosters fighting because I don't have a lot of hens. Which one do you think I should keep for a breeding purpose? Each one has a special characteristic.;)

#1. His mother carried the really DARK egg-laying gene.
View attachment 1508042

#2. His mother that I hatched him from had a lot of gold on her.
View attachment 1508047
#3. His mother has been an awesome egg-layer for months now but I don't know if its genes.:confused:
View attachment 1508074

It is much too early to tell which will be breeders. Be prepared to wait quite some time.. many months before their true color, tail set, and type is revealed. It takes Marans cockerels a while to mature so I would watch them until 6-8 months minimum.

Here is one of my back ups.. Naked Neck is what Ive been calling him lately. The name Skint did not stick. He is the one that had the chunk of flesh tore off his hackle by a gamecock.

He has marbled eyes, white underfluff under his hackles, and just the ever so slightest tad of white in each earlobe. Its hard to see but its there. He also has a halo but his type is good. He is around 7 months old. We'll see if his tail stays an acceptable angle. :hmm

High tails are the bane of my existence. :(

View attachment 1508130
that is a shame, ive got the same problem and my cockerel with the best tail lacks the size a prefer, but i do plan on using him in with a few hens with both big bodies and good tailsand hope i can produce good cocks with good tails. I promise your not alone in this.

that is a shame, ive got the same problem and my cockerel with the best tail lacks the size a prefer, but i do plan on using him in with a few hens with both big bodies and good tailsand hope i can produce good cocks with good tails. I promise your not alone in this.

That gives me some comfort knowing Im not struggling all alone, but I hate to hear that about your cockerels. Maybe one of these days we'll get all the kinks worked out of these birds. Lol

Back
Top Bottom