International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

View attachment 2504532
@Punkybrewster
this pullet is of high quality .I like her a lot . best body type .long ,wide ,low to the ground .long back .low tail . small standing comb .deep chest . well developed abdomen .
she is stunning .she is your foundation girls for body conformation breeding program .
name her well .
chooks man

Yes.
Her name is Georgia.
After I posted all the pictures,
my chooks man learning kicked in and i knew she would pair nicely with Waylon the cockerel.
That they would compliment each other.

The pullet with full hackle pared with him would create over colored birds with no mass.

View attachment 2504533
@Punkybrewster
this pullet is good too , but she is too much tail . love her complete hackle marking and small comb .she has a thinner bones .
this one will be marked as complete body pattern and copper quality breeder . but she need to be mated to a very low tail cockerel other wise all her progeny will have high tail and thin bone .
what color of her eggs please?
I like the chunky pullet better . we want to breed BCM like her .

chooks man
All the rest of the pullets have too much tail at a high angle.

I am working on finding out egg color.

@Punkybrewster
photos of the 2 cockerel please .love to see his tail angle . how he is doing now .I know you said he is a little nasty but I need to have a look .fresh photos please .how he is looking now .

we need a cockerel with a low tail angle .
how is the eggs doing in the bator ?

chooks man

I threw him in the legbar pen for now.
I will get pictures today when the sun comes up.

9 eggs made it this far out of 15.
JPEG_20210127_063159_1660094365518225715.jpg

This is the first time using this incubator.
I like it for marans eggs. It does not hold humidity well so stays nice and low.

My other incubators humidity holds steady for a while. Not this one. It drops all the time.

Im a little worried about air cells. Their on the small side for day 16 so im keeping it around 20% instead of 30-40%.

View attachment 2504623

I like it for marans eggs. It does not hold humidity well so stays nice and low.

My other incubators humidity holds steady for a while. Not this one. It drops all the time.

Im a little worried about air cells. Their on the small side for day 16 so im keeping it around 20% instead of 30-40%.
I love that incubator,
Check out what I did to mine,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incuview-incubator-modified.74766/

View attachment 2504623

That’s a crappy hatch rate for eggs you drove all that way to pick up. 🤔

That’s a crappy hatch rate for eggs you drove all that way to pick up. 🤔

I know.

I opened the clears to make sure.
They looked infertile to me.

But one that i thought was clear ended up having a developing chick.
I hate when that happens.
Marans newby mistake.

New rule with marans eggs.
Dont candle until day 14 or lockdown.

Still, crappy hatch rate for an 8 hour round trip.

If I get a couple of beautiful, dark egg laying, low tailed, correct pullets out of this, i will be happy.
That was my goal.

If not?
Meh, enjoy the ride and have a beeah.

I have the pattern for the divider saved on my phone. I plan to make one.

I like the drilled hole idea.
My biggest problem with incubation is the spring, summer, fall humidity here in the south.

I have never had problems hatching anything until i moved down here.

There is a definite learning curve.

For the past 3 years of incubating down here, i have had sticky chicks and low hatch rates.

Not having central air conditioning to remove excess humidity from the home seems to be a big problem. I even tried a dehumidifier in the hatch room.

Marans eggs? Forget it.

Now that i have several different incubator brands, i am seeing that some work better than others when it comes to managing humidity.

I was using a brinsea mini and magicfly.
Even now, in winter, they keep stable humidity but on the high side even without adding water.
In summer, 65% and couldnt get it down.
I think that was my problem.
Wrong bator for what i need it for. Not enough air holes. I may drill some.

Nurture Right 360 is awesome. Very steady machine but i forsee the humidity problem happening once summer gets here.

So. The big test will be with this incuview in the middle of sauna, tropical, South Carolina summer with no central air.

It is the only one that will not hold humidity steady for more than a couple of hours in my house at this time.
It WANTS to run very dry.

I guess we will find out this summer.

I know.

I opened the clears to make sure.
They looked infertile to me.

But one that i thought was clear ended up having a developing chick.
I hate when that happens.
Marans newby mistake.

New rule with marans eggs.
Dont candle until day 14 or lockdown.

Still, crappy hatch rate for an 8 hour round trip.

If I get a couple of beautiful, dark egg laying, low tailed, correct pullets out of this, i will be happy.
That was my goal.

If not?
Meh, enjoy the ride and have a beeah.

wrong goal my friend ,
I hope they all hatch and they all low tails cockerels ,so we can use them over hen line 2 .
you don t need more hens .you have enough . you need a low tail cockerel .that will be your first breeding step . I told how Georgia X waylon will produce you the future cockerels .but we still need different line if possible than we good for ever ,no need any more blood lines .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom