International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

DSCN0536.JPG
Having a snow day
DSCN0537.JPG
DSCN0538.JPG

I bought 15 eggs.
9 made it to lockdown and 9 hatched.

The last one I assisted expecting it to die but so far it is still alive in the brooder. It was sticky.

I will make sure to keep the humidity down while they are hatching next time.

Here are pictures of some of them.
Tomorrow i will get individual pics.

View attachment 2509760View attachment 2509762View attachment 2509764View attachment 2509766
These are some nice looking chicks - love their hatch down color, no to minimal white on their face, all good. They’re chunky and legs are well spaced on the few that are standing.

I like their hatch down too.
They were only hours old.
Tomorrow they will be stronger to stand.

Most of my line #1 chicks had bad hatch down. Tons of white.

I remember Chooks Man saying that a lot of white shows they are sensitive towards parasitic white as adults.

This ended up being very true with that line.

But what i dont understand is, how can these chicks have nice, correct hatch down when i know their sires all have a big problem with parasitic white?

Its a mystery to me.
Although i do tend to over-analyze things...

I like their hatch down too.
They were only hours old.
Tomorrow they will be stronger to stand.

Most of my line #1 chicks had bad hatch down. Tons of white.

I remember Chooks Man saying that a lot of white shows they are sensitive towards parasitic white as adults.

This ended up being very true with that line.

But what i dont understand is, how can these chicks have nice, correct hatch down when i know their sires all have a big problem with parasitic white?

Its a mystery to me.
Although i do tend to over-analyze things...
There is still a lot we don’t know about how parasitic white works. What we do know is what breeders have observed from their chicks and grow outs and have shared with others. This is why it is important to take notes from the date of hatch for as long as you have your chickens.

My chicks from August 2020 are just now 6 months and I’ve noticed a couple of cockerels are beginning to show parasitic white even though they had good hatch down. Pullets / Hen usually don’t express parasitic white so that why we need to choose mature males (18 months old +) that have no parasitic white.

Back
Top Bottom