International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Wolfwalker,
You say the line you got your birds have no recessive white, how many Cocks do you
have in this line. How many generations do you have? Pictures of your cock over two
years with no white. Thank you Tom
I will get a picture from his new owner. When I moved I had to rehome to another breeder all the adult roo's. I kept the best male offspring and the older hens to bring with me. I had a limit of 25 birds I had room in the RV for and 18 of those were set aside for my Aloha's.

Post #5467 September 30, 2017 Chooks Man wrote about the brown spot

Thank you for this @RedBanks !
There is somewhere else he mentions them being female. But maybe I am wrong in what I have written down. The ones with a brown spot on their heads I have in my brooder are pullets. Never had a cockerel. Im glad to know some folks have.

My BC rooster died and I have no idea why. My husband found him. So I need to try and hatch any eggs from that pen. I am not getting many eggs from them they have just started laying. I just put those hens in with him a while back. He seemed fine.

Im so sorry this happened.
Hatch as many as you can, hopefully he was breeding them.
When we had to cull Waylon, I grabbed all the eggs for 2 weeks and hatched a few.

Im so sorry this happened.
Hatch as many as you can, hopefully he was breeding them.
When we had to cull Waylon, I grabbed all the eggs for 2 weeks and hatched a few.
I figure I will save for 7 days then set and save for 7 more days then set again. If they are not fertile I will put the best Blue Copper Rooster in with the three BC hens.

My BC rooster died and I have no idea why. My husband found him. So I need to try and hatch any eggs from that pen. I am not getting many eggs from them they have just started laying. I just put those hens in with him a while back. He seemed fine.
I hate it when I loose chickens and do not know, why! I have lost alot of BCM's over the years.
My biggest loss is from skunks. They dug under some of my portable pens and wiped out 7 roosters ready for processing. I always trap them the next day, but then it is too late. I disposed of 13 skunks one year. Last month my neighbor's dog killed 5 BCM pullets, Big dog, broke the door on my smaller pen.
The worst part is when you go out in the morning and a hen or rooster is just dead.
I'm so sorry for your loss. One of the new roosters I bought is looking pretty good. The other one not so much. I hope he is just molting?? I have not put him in with my hens.
Hope the rest of the year is better.
Just tilled a half acre of garden, potatoes go in on Good Friday.

I hate it when I loose chickens and do not know, why! I have lost alot of BCM's over the years.
My biggest loss is from skunks. They dug under some of my portable pens and wiped out 7 roosters ready for processing. I always trap them the next day, but then it is too late. I disposed of 13 skunks one year. Last month my neighbor's dog killed 5 BCM pullets, Big dog, broke the door on my smaller pen.
The worst part is when you go out in the morning and a hen or rooster is just dead.
I'm so sorry for your loss. One of the new roosters I bought is looking pretty good. The other one not so much. I hope he is just molting?? I have not put him in with my hens.

sorry for your losses. that's horrible.

Thank you Tom! I have a garden every year but not that big! I grow all my plants from heirloom seeds and my garden is organic. This is last years garden.

Attachments

• 20210913_085641.jpg
    20210913_085641.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211006_184848.jpg
    20211006_184848.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210731_170319.jpg
    20210731_170319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210913_085533.jpg
    20210913_085533.jpg