International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Can I mix 4 week old chicks with 5 week old chicks without complications? It may seem like an academic question but I have never done it before I always do a slow introduce with all new birds.

Ive only mixed 1-3 week olds.

Somewhere I read when they hit around 4 weeks, problems begin with being territorial, etc. Before that, chicks just dont care.

Thats just being general. I myself would maybe try putting them all together in an unfamiliar coop and monitor.

Ive only mixed 1-3 week olds.

Somewhere I read when they hit around 4 weeks, problems begin with being territorial, etc. Before that, chicks just dont care.

Thats just being general. I myself would maybe try putting them all together in an unfamiliar coop and monitor.
Thanks.... I have 12 Partridge Rocks 5 - 6 weeks and 11 BCM, the BCM range from 3 - 4 weeks. I really want to try putting them together, it would save me a lot of work. I wonder if putting them in after dark would also help the situation.

Thanks.... I have 12 Partridge Rocks 5 - 6 weeks and 11 BCM, the BCM range from 3 - 4 weeks. I really want to try putting them together, it would save me a lot of work. I wonder if putting them in after dark would also help the situation.

I put 3 days old with 3-4 weeks old. just be there for a while and watch. putting them in after dark sounds great.

I always move my hens and roosters after dark, when they are on the roost. Much easier to catch them. We moved baby chics outside today, they were very happy.

I tried to go on the French BCM forum to find him. He used to be active on that. I wish I knew a way to get in touch with him. I remember when I asked him if we should start this thread, for the reasons that you referenced Tom. His advice, knowledge and experience were invaluable. He was patient and consistent. We had to do the work and we could change what needed to change. Punkybrewster replied to my vulture hocks whine with the same good advice and experience that Chooksman would have given. We are still sharing knowledge, providing encouragement and support. That is what the thread is about. Tom you could change your name in your profile.
I tried to go back to Old Man Tom. Could not do that, so now I am "Thomas" Oh well

Looking back in my book, line #1 had the vulture hocks in my cockerels.
Over feathered feet, bad eye color, white underfluff expressed in the cockerels too. And high tails.

But they had nice mass and type and egg color.

I only have 1 left from my line #1.
A hen named Judith. She lays a nice big, round, dark egg. And she eats it 50% of the time! The only egg eater I have. I plan to cull her.

I was able to hatch a couple of her eggs that somehow I grabbed from her.
I hatched out 2.
1 pullet and 1 cockerel.

Here is the cockerel.
He looks like her line with the over feathered feet and bad eye color but he has a lot of nice qualities I think. Only time will tell. His sire is Seamus who has nice type, color, minimal leg feathering and low tail.
Other chicks from this hatch had their leg feathering improved with Seamus as their sire. I wish he did too.

20220427_111153.jpg

Attachments

• 20220427_111135.jpg
    20220427_111135.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom