International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am marking egg color of my hens. Its not easy as they lay different shades day to day.

I am also making notes of:
Egg color
Hackle color
Size
Mass
Type

At this point, I think I will pen the small, U shaped, no mass hens and see what their eggs look like. I would like to get rid of them but I bet they lay the darkest!

This will be the first time I do a large cull to make room and get more organized in my breeding.

Its very daunting.
Reading this thread again is helping though.

#1 egg color
#2 type
#3 mass

Is this correct?

I am marking egg color of my hens. Its not easy as they lay different shades day to day.

I am also making notes of:
Egg color
Hackle color
Size
Mass
Type

At this point, I think I will pen the small, U shaped, no mass hens and see what their eggs look like. I would like to get rid of them but I bet they lay the darkest!

This will be the first time I do a large cull to make room and get more organized in my breeding.

Its very daunting.
Reading this thread again is helping though.

#1 egg color
#2 type
#3 mass

Is this correct?
This sounds great. Your organized approach is impressive.

Hello everyone! I hope you are all well! This is the only chick of the year. I went yesterday to the feed store and bought a couple other chicks and one turkey poult so he won't be lonely. I have not been well at all but nothing contagious just chronic. I am hoping to keep going for a while but I will probably have to give this up in a few years.

Attachments

• 20220505_202707.jpg
    20220505_202707.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220505_202653.jpg
    20220505_202653.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220505_202658.jpg
    20220505_202658.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 1
a friend of mine has nice white marans and started to work with a young flock of cuckoo marans (extreemly rare here). if I ever move to my new place I will take some of them. still looking for healthy bcm. it seems too much interbreeding and getting them from a few unhealthy farms destroyed this wonderfool breed.

as @Chooks man said white marans are easier to breed, lol. no parasitic white at all :lau

Hello everyone! I hope you are all well! This is the only chick of the year. I went yesterday to the feed store and bought a couple other chicks and one turkey poult so he won't be lonely. I have not been well at all but nothing contagious just chronic. I am hoping to keep going for a while but I will probably have to give this up in a few years.
Sorry to hear you are not doing well. Is this a Blue Copper. We just have to get going, chickens need to be fed, lawn needs to be mowed, garden needs to be weeded. It is spring, best time of the year. I'm 71 years old and thankful for every day

Sorry to hear you are not doing well. Is this a Blue Copper. We just have to get going, chickens need to be fed, lawn needs to be mowed, garden needs to be weeded. It is spring, best time of the year. I'm 71 years old and thankful for every day
Thank you! I love spring too! I do not like winter though. Yes, That is a blcm. I think it is looking like a cockerel? I am going to try hatching one more time and see if any of my eggs are fertile. I am worried about it. I am so swamped with work. I went to bed at 10:00 and got up at 2:00 am. I figured I could get 7 1/2 hours work in before we made a quick trip into town. Come back and start back working all when you are not feeling well but got to keep going until I can't go anymore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom