International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

LL

i like this one too .she is nicely marked and great type ( plum )
wide deep chest .
well spaced feet
well feathers shanks and nice color.

photo of her from the side and rear please?

chooks man

better for you if you want to work that line is to breed from all the group .( 3 pullets sisters/half sisters and they brother/half brother cockerel .

Because we don t know witch pullets is his a true sister .

If I was you ,here how I do it ;
1) I ll make the cockerel to all 3 pullets ( group mating )
2) I ll try to hatch minimum 20 chicks from each pullets = that will make it total 60 chicks minimum .as F1  all related ,does not matter from witch pullets they come from ( each one has it own specific trait ). I m trying to keep the diversity in the line.even if they come from a same parent stock .

3) I ll select the best 2 cockerels and the best 3 pullets from this F1 and I get ready of the parent stock .

4)mate the chosen one group1 cockerel F1a and get F2a = select the best cockerel and the best 3 pullets as F2a
group 2 cockerel F1b and get F2b . = select the best cockerel and a best 3 pullets as F2b.

5)mate a cockerel F2a to the F2a = and get F3a
mate the cockerel F2b to a pullets F2b = and get F3b.

by now the F3a and F3b are cousins and are ready to be out crossed to another line to add any desirable trait OR kept pure if I m happy about them .

if I m happy with them them ;
I ll mate cockerel F3a to the F3b pullets and get F4ab
I ll mate cockerel F3b to the F3a pullets and get F4ba

from now on I ll create 2 lines ab and line ba and keep them separate  and work them . if one of them loses a vigor or some thing than I ll cross it to the other line to restore what has been lost.

chooks man

That sounds like a great plan! Thank you. Once again, you're a genius. :)

Looking forward to working with my two lines. I will keep each line pure but it will be nice to have the option of outcrossing birds from the other line if need be.

Thanks for the advice!

are they a same cockerel or different one.

can you number them for me please

chooks man

number1

number 2

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7587618/width/200/height/400[/IMG
I only have the one picture of the first cockerel, are they blue copper or blue wheaten?

More pics, I couldn't get any of Antonio the other night. Phone went dead tonight but..... I managed to get a few.

Back
Top Bottom