International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Chooks man, I hatched one lone little Marans chick. It was Blue Copper rooster over a Black Copper Hen. I only have the two hens in that pen that are old enough to lay and both are Black Copper. I even know which hen layed that egg. So my Chicken friend says the chick is splash! She is also the person that I got the hen from. I know that she has had a Blue Copper rooster so dark that it looked black but was indeed Blue Copper. What do you think of this chick? Sorry second picture is the wrong chick.
Marchick, Looks to be a Blue to me albeit a very light blue. Also the developing wing feathers seem to be blue as well. Keep us posted as he/she grows out. I just hatched out some blues (BCM x BLCM and Splash) and their color varies from light to dark blue. I'm finding the chicks from my Splash Hen are on the lighter side of blue - not sure why but just an observation. Take Care, Keith

Marchick,

Looks to be a Blue to me albeit a very light blue. Also the developing wing feathers seem to be blue as well. Keep us posted as he/she grows out. I just hatched out some blues (BCM x BLCM and Splash) and their color varies from light to dark blue. I'm finding the chicks from my Splash Hen are on the lighter side of blue - not sure why but just an observation.

Take Care,
Keith

I am thinking Blue Copper also! I am not sure why this chick is so light with the rooster being BLCM and the hen being BCM. I will let her feathers grow out some and post again. The color coming in on the wing feathers is not as light compared to chicks color.

I am thinking Blue Copper also! I am not sure why this chick is so light with the rooster being BLCM and the hen being BCM. I will let her feathers grow out some and post again. The color coming in on the wing feathers is not as light compared to chicks color.
if I remeber well Chooks man said that blue could be anything, from light blue to dark- almost black-blue.

I have a rooster I got for free. And the only breed he even moderately fits into is the black copper Marans. He's a large bantam kinda size. No foot feathers. Longer main sickles and hacks than in the first photos on this thread. Stands taller with a more curved back too. any idea what he is???

I have a rooster I got for free. And the only breed he even moderately fits into is the black copper Marans. He's a large bantam kinda size. No foot feathers. Longer main sickles and hacks than in the first photos on this thread. Stands taller with a more curved back too. any idea what he is???
could be anything. many roos look like bcm.

Hello. I have been searching for some new threads but I haven't seen any yet. I have currently a nice group of birds from Greenfire Farms they aren't show quality but lay nice dark eggs. The other day a woman who has actual show quality Marans offered to sell me a nice group that are Bev Davis lines. These have a really nice SOP. I would really like to get this group and possibly mix the two lines. Is it worth it to try or just keep the two rooster and hens separate? ?

Hello. I have been searching for some new threads but I haven't seen any yet. I have currently a nice group of birds from Greenfire Farms they aren't show quality but lay nice dark eggs. The other day a woman who has actual show quality Marans offered to sell me a nice group that are Bev Davis lines. These have a really nice SOP. I would really like to get this group and possibly mix the two lines. Is it worth it to try or just keep the two rooster and hens separate? ?

Sounds like you would have a similar flock to us. We have a flock that is Bev Davis and Cottage Hill. Our hens have a great temperament and lay dark eggs. We are also incubating some Greenfire Farms eggs, hatching on Easter Weekend. It sounds like a great opportunity to improve your flock, I would personally take the offer.

Hello All,

Thought I would share some photos of my new fluffy butts that hatched last night / today. I hatched 15 chicks for a hatch rate of 55%. I was hoping for better but I guess that's not too bad since my Cockerels are newbies to the breeding game. Most of the chicks are BLCMs with a couple of BCMs. The chicks show good vigor and are well chunky. I'm liking their hatch down but I have a couple of chicks with a good amount of white on their faces / over their eyes so I've tagged them so I can track how their color develops (I'm looking to see if they carry the parasitic white). I'll post a separate photo so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Keith

You're right about them being chunky haha. They look good.
sorry to hear that. it sucks when our dogs do that.

Not her fault, she doesn't know better (hunting breed). She is a good dog, minds well when I am there to oversee her.
Sorry guys having trouble with my lap Top.
Chooks man
No worries, Chooks man. Hopefully it will cooperate enough to get you around BYC today.

Back
Top Bottom