International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

The one on the right of this photo is one of my favorites. She is a quite nicely colored pullet.

Here she is on the left. (side note - the muddy faced pullet is the one my dog got
idunno.gif
)

You can see my favorite girls in the center here.

I'll get more photos tonight, gonna pick everyone up and try to get them to remain calm on a table
roll.png
I've been pretty rushed with my flock because of school, I get a break for easter (quite fitting time to spend time with my egg producer haha).
I will be completing quite a few chicken related projects around then.

Sounds like you would have a similar flock to us. We have a flock that is Bev Davis and Cottage Hill. Our hens have a great temperament and lay dark eggs. We are also incubating some Greenfire Farms eggs, hatching on Easter Weekend. It sounds like a great opportunity to improve your flock, I would personally take the offer.

Thanks for your opinion! I was really hoping someone would say that!

Hello. I have been searching for some new threads but I haven't seen any yet. I have currently a nice group of birds from Greenfire Farms they aren't show quality but lay nice dark eggs. The other day a woman who has actual show quality Marans offered to sell me a nice group that are Bev Davis lines. These have a really nice SOP. I would really like to get this group and possibly mix the two lines. Is it worth it to try or just keep the two rooster and hens separate? ?

If you have the space and money I would take the Bev Davis Line. Here is what I would do - keep the Greenfire Farms and Bev Davis Lines separate so they stay true then create a third line that is all your own. This plan would give you 3 distinct lines to work with instead of one mixed line.

Good Luck,
Keith

The one on the right of this photo is one of my favorites. She is a quite nicely colored pullet. Here she is on the left. (side note - the muddy faced pullet is the one my dog got :idunno ) You can see my favorite girls in the center here. I'll get more photos tonight, gonna pick everyone up and try to get them to remain calm on a table :rolleyes: . I've been pretty rushed with my flock because of school, I get a break for easter (quite fitting time to spend time with my egg producer haha). I will be completing quite a few chicken related projects around then.
Well done Braxton! You have some very nice pullets to work with. Take Care, Keith

Ive been crazy busy with work and the chickens. We are swarming with chicks of all ages so they keep me busy. I wanted to check in to update on Mud. He has nearly made a full recovery. He only lost the points on his comb, the rest just scabbed from blood. Once the scab and necrotic parts fell off he still has a decent part of his comb left. He is back in the brood pen where he belongs. His girls missed him.. when I opened the door to the coop he literally jumped out of my arms and ran into the coop. All 4 hens (3 splash and my FRF BCM) squatted to be bred and he happily obliged them. Lol

All is good again.

Also, the Mud x LA eggs I collected from before Mud got sick had a great hatch rate. Only one chick had a small amount of middle toe feathering and no excessive white. I am very pleased with them!

I will update with pics as soon as I can. Hope all is well!!

:)

Ive been crazy busy with work and the chickens. We are swarming with chicks of all ages so they keep me busy. I wanted to check in to update on Mud. He has nearly made a full recovery. He only lost the points on his comb, the rest just scabbed from blood. Once the scab and necrotic parts fell off he still has a decent part of his comb left. He is back in the brood pen where he belongs. His girls missed him.. when I opened the door to the coop he literally jumped out of my arms and ran into the coop. All 4 hens (3 splash and my FRF BCM) squatted to be bred and he happily obliged them. Lol

All is good again.

Also, the Mud x LA eggs I collected from before Mud got sick had a great hatch rate. Only one chick had a small amount of middle toe feathering and no excessive white. I am very pleased with them!

I will update with pics as soon as I can. Hope all is well!!

smile.png
wee.gif
finally good news. happy for Mud! congrats for the chicks.

my buff orpington pullet might get broody. I have some luna's eggs but I am concerned about their fertility. I treated my chickens with oxytetracycline/neomycin for a week then with metronidazole for 5 days. mario hasn't been well, molting and some infection going on and marco had canker for sure, maybe other health issue as well. I guess I shouldn't even try to hatch eggs but don't have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom