International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hmm... so we have a very large hen. She's not fat, very active, and really is just fluffy.
This is what she lays. Not the OE of course.

We are hatching a few chicks from her, 1 or 2 I think. Anyone else have big hens? The rest of ours are smaller than her.
You wouldn't happen to remember if this hen had a really tall comb as a chick? I have 5 8 week old chicks, 3 I know are roos but I am hopeful that the other 2 are pullets that just happen to have a really tall comb. The reason I say this is that the 3 roos already have wattles and the other 2 have wattles but they are small and tight. BTW, nice monster egg, is this the size she always lays or is this an anomaly?

Update on this funny little Blue Copper Marans chick. I have never seen such a light chick but is feathering in dark blue. She is in with some ameraucanas but not crossed with them. She is from a BLCM X BCM breeding. She is about 9-10 days old now.

I'm pretty
You wouldn't happen to remember if this hen had a really tall comb as a chick?  I have 5 8 week old chicks, 3 I know are roos but I am hopeful that the other 2 are pullets that just happen to have a really tall comb.  The reason I say this is that the 3 roos already have wattles and the other 2 have wattles but they are small and tight.  BTW, nice monster egg, is this the size she always lays or is this an anomaly? 

I'm pretty sure she did have a big comb. And these are normal eggs, on the small side for us lol. :)

Last edited:
my buff orpington pullet seems to be determined to hatch chicks. today she got up just to eat and went back to the nest. I am going to put the real eggs tomorrow. 10 BCM and 5 rumpless araucana. I hope she will cover them well as the araucana eggs are tiny and she is a big fluffy butt.

my buff orpington pullet seems to be determined to hatch chicks. today she got up just to eat and went back to the nest. I am going to put the real eggs tomorrow. 10 BCM and 5 rumpless araucana. I hope she will cover them well as the araucana eggs are tiny and she is a big fluffy butt.

Good luck with your hatch. Please post pictures when they hatch. I have a big fluffy butt! Maybe I should sit on eggs! That would be quite the clutch of eggs. lol

My little Marans and the newly refurbished 1942 stacked brooder pen.

Good luck with your hatch. Please post pictures when they hatch. I have a big fluffy butt! Maybe I should sit on eggs! That would be quite the clutch of eggs. lol
lau.gif

thanks for the wishes. I hope my bad luck with hatching marans should be gone now. my little girl (the only one I have) laid 10 beautiful eggs from 29th march till today (10 eggs in 13 days). the colour went down to #4-5 but they are still darker than #4.

Back
Top Bottom