International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hey Kayla,

I gave Otis 1cc of Tylan 50 each of the past 3 days. Not really knowing what was wrong I decided on a broad spectrum treatment plan for viral, bacterial, parasitic and vitamin deficiency. Hopefully he’ll pull through. As long as I don’t think he is in major pain I’ll do all I can for him.

The life of a chookskeeper!

Keith
I am sorry to hear Otis is not well.

@RedBanks If you feed a balanced and nutritious feed, the likelihood of it being a vitamin or electrolyte deficiency is slim but still a possibility. It could be the result of malabsorption in the gut. It's difficult to speculate. I hope the others remain healthy and this is merely an isolated incident. Losing chickens is always a bummer. :(

I feed flock raiser feed. Good for all ages. I took her out of the coop the minute I realized she was in trouble. This has come on so quick it makes me wonder if she ate something, a toxic weed, old feed under the feeder (they waste so much), I just cleaned the coop but who knows. I have my eye on the rest, all the others seem fine, all normal acting. I don't usually have good luck treating chickens. She will make it or she won't. I hate to see her suffer and I won't let that happen. Thank you all for the caring advice.

I would be worried it's Mareks Disease. It isn't only spread by chickens, it can be spread by wild birds in their dander. It is highly contagious if that is what it is so I would be safe and cull a bird with those symptoms. I'm so sorry Red Banks. :(
So if it is Mareks are they all going to get this ill?

I bought my first chicks from a man that lives about 1 hour away. One died shortly after I got home. I called the man because I thought he needed to know there was something wrong with the chicks. He assured me that there was nothing wrong with the chicks or his chickens. He said, "Chickens die." It was one of the best things anyone has ever said to me. Chickens do die..... predators, disease and freak accidents. It isn't anything I have done wrong (I hope) and they are difficult to save. I hate the loss of any living thing but I am very glad for that man's blunt words, it made me understand I needed to be pragmatic when dealing with sick chickens. Now having said that I just pray the rest will be okay!:fl

So if it is Mareks are they all going to get this ill?

If others start showing symptoms, it very well could be Mareks or other communicable disease that has neurological symtoms. I have read that a hallmark sign of Mareks is paralysis causing one leg to be under the bird, and one leg extended behind the bird. Like Keith said though, there are so many illnesses that can manifest so similarly in chickens and it is so hard to pinpoint what it is without blood tests, necropsies, etc.

I've heard that moldy feed can make a chicken ill, but I've not had experienced it. They get into anything and everything, especially the free ranging ones though. I've had old timers tell me that it is dang near impossible to poison a chicken and I believe that to be true. They are tough little critters. Keeping her hydrated and well despite her paralysis will tell you if it is something temporary she will recover from or not. Best of luck with her!

I bought my first chicks from a man that lives about 1 hour away. One died shortly after I got home. I called the man because I thought he needed to know there was something wrong with the chicks. He assured me that there was nothing wrong with the chicks or his chickens. He said, "Chickens die." It was one of the best things anyone has ever said to me. Chickens do die..... predators, disease and freak accidents. It isn't anything I have done wrong (I hope) and they are difficult to save. I hate the loss of any living thing but I am very glad for that man's blunt words, it made me understand I needed to be pragmatic when dealing with sick chickens. Now having said that I just pray the rest will be okay!:fl

That is very true, and good advice. Chickens die, and it pays to not get too attached. They are tough and can survive a lot, but sometimes for whatever reason they just die. I hope the rest remain okay too! I have lost quite a few chicks this year already and I know how frustrating and disappointing it is.

That is very true, and good advice. Chickens die, and it pays to not get too attached. They are tough and can survive a lot, but sometimes for whatever reason they just die. I hope the rest remain okay too! I have lost quite a few chicks this year already and I know how frustrating and disappointing it is.
Thanks...... I am reading about Mareks. Let's pray it isn't that.

One of the young pullets is sick. There are no signs of illness. I mean puffed up, wheezing..... ill behavior. She just can't stand or walk. It seems neurological. It was 28 degrees last night but I don't see what that would matter. I put a lamp on them. I brought her in and will watch her but I don't think she will recover.

Hope the gal pulls through. I've had a few girls go drunken unstable like this winter. I brought them in for tuna and electrolyte and they bounced back a day later. I blame molt but it seems a bit late for that to be your issue

IMG_2523.JPG
Poor Chester took a beating during our New England Arctic Blast. I'm counting down the days till warm weather and praying my cuckoo goes broody again right off. She was such a good mama and I've got my eyes on some BCM and cream legbar for him to snuggle up with
IMG_2522.JPG

Curious: this Easter egged lays a light green egg. If I breed chester to her for olive eggs will the babies be sex linked? Not sure what they call her but maybe its partridge?

Last edited:
If others start showing symptoms, it very well could be Mareks or other communicable disease that has neurological symtoms. I have read that a hallmark sign of Mareks is paralysis causing one leg to be under the bird, and one leg extended behind the bird. Like Keith said though, there are so many illnesses that can manifest so similarly in chickens and it is so hard to pinpoint what it is without blood tests, necropsies, etc.

I've heard that moldy feed can make a chicken ill, but I've not had experienced it. They get into anything and everything, especially the free ranging ones though. I've had old timers tell me that it is dang near impossible to poison a chicken and I believe that to be true. They are tough little critters. Keeping her hydrated and well despite her paralysis will tell you if it is something temporary she will recover from or not. Best of luck with her!

No more sick chicks as of this morning.

Back
Top Bottom