International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

If others start showing symptoms, it very well could be Mareks or other communicable disease that has neurological symtoms. I have read that a hallmark sign of Mareks is paralysis causing one leg to be under the bird, and one leg extended behind the bird. Like Keith said though, there are so many illnesses that can manifest so similarly in chickens and it is so hard to pinpoint what it is without blood tests, necropsies, etc.

I've heard that moldy feed can make a chicken ill, but I've not had experienced it. They get into anything and everything, especially the free ranging ones though. I've had old timers tell me that it is dang near impossible to poison a chicken and I believe that to be true. They are tough little critters. Keeping her hydrated and well despite her paralysis will tell you if it is something temporary she will recover from or not. Best of luck with her!

I believe it would be hard to poison a chicken. What I don't understand is why people suggest feeding a chicken yogurt. They don't have a digestive tract like ours.

View attachment 1236419 Poor Chester took a beating during our New England Arctic Blast. I'm counting down the days till warm weather and praying my cuckoo goes broody again right off. She was such a good mama and I've got my eyes on some BCM and cream legbar for him to snuggle up with View attachment 1236406

Curious: this Easter egged lays a light green egg. If I breed chester to her for olive eggs will the babies be sex linked? Not sure what they call her but maybe its partridge?

I think with this cross you would end up with 50% Olive Eggers and 50% brown egg layers because the EE only has one copy of the blue egg gene, and one copy of the brown egg gene which is what makes her eggs green. Only approximately 50% of the offspring will inherit the blue egg gene from her, and will also inherit the dark brown egg gene from the marans rooster, creating Olive Eggers. The other 50% of the offspring will inherit the brown egg gene from their mother, and the dark brown egg gene from the rooster causing them to lay a brown egg.

sorry to hear about your sick chickens.

I have another pullet that cannot digest food. 2 vets say it might be IB, the 3rd vet says: IB/worms/cocci/poisoning or any combination of them. the therapy is baytril and baycox for 3 days (1 ml of each/ 1 l water). I like the idea of this therapy. it will cover more diseases.

But how does that work for a chicken? ...... just curious.

When giving antibiotics to a chicken, yogurt or buttermilk helps replace the good intestinal flora that antibiotics can kill. If a bird is having delayed crop emptying, yogurt or buttermilk can help discourage yeast overgrowth. Even a chicken's digestive tract contains good bacteria that aide in digestion and combat bad organisms and bacteria. The good bacteria is called the normal flora.

Thats fantastic news!! Hope ths little pullet recovers quickly!
Thanks Kayla, I culled the pullet. I just thought it was best to protect the flock and end her suffering. A physical injury I will work very hard to save them. The unknown illness' scare me, I don't want to save one to put all the others in danger. I also feel they are a threat to the future vigor of their offspring and the flock.

When giving antibiotics to a chicken, yogurt or buttermilk helps replace the good intestinal flora that antibiotics can kill. If a bird is having delayed crop emptying, yogurt or buttermilk can help discourage yeast overgrowth. Even a chicken's digestive tract contains good bacteria that aide in digestion and combat bad organisms and bacteria. The good bacteria is called the normal flora.
I have been reading. The most interesting plus is that it will help with Salmonella.

Otis is showing signs of improvement today...he’s still a little shaky on his feet but he’s eating / drinking well and, most importantly, he’s not walking backwards or head shaking. I’m still giving him vitamin supplements in his water along with ACV and garlic for parasite control. Tomorrow he gets another 1/4 cc of ivermectin. I’ll also mix him up some feed with yogurt to help replenish his good flora. I wouldn’t say he’s out of the woods just yet but for the first time in 4 days I have some hope.

@RedBanks - I’m so sorry you had to cull your pullet! I know it wasn’t easy but you made the right decision for your flock.

@chickengr - I agree with your broad spectrum approach for treating your flock. I hope for all the best for you and your birds.

Take Care All,
Keith

Back
Top Bottom